poweramp guys help me out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• poweramp guys help me out

which is the the best for power and alters preamp signal the least---Marshall9200/el34 100/100.VHT 90-2-90,peavey classic120/120,or the Mesa 2 ninetyor Mesa 2 one hundred
    www.myspace.com/goreality1

Re: poweramp guys help me out

VHT 90-2-90, Mesa 2 ninety, Mesa 2 one hundred, peavey classic120/120...

Pretty much in that order...

Comment

so what's up with the Marshall

Comment

yea, I was just gonna post that.. do you think the monoblock colors the sound that much?

Comment

*!* how do you know how the preamp sounds without the poweramp? EVERY poweramp is going to color the sound to some degree - your goal shouldn't be to get a transparent poweramp, it should be to find one that sounds good with what you have. If you want a transparent poweramp, get a solid state studio amp that is made with a flat frequency response. You'll hate it.

If you have the $$$, The VHT stuff is pretty much the standard. The Mesa 2:90 and hundred are good amps too, but not in the VHT's league. Peavey Classic series of power amps are fantastic bang for the buck amps... I'd take one over a Marshall 9200 any day.

Pete

Comment

I agree, power amps do color the sound and the power amps that color the sound the least are solid state. I'm curious, what specifically do you think is wrong with the monoblock that you do not like it for an application. I mean, I do not own one, I have a Peavey Classic that I find works just fine, I'm just tapping into why you feel that way.

Comment

Overpriced and under built for hard usage.

It has three boards sitting on top of each for each channel. Hard to get to the boards for service because of that. The initial preamp tubes are mounted right onto the PC Boards.. Unit is prone to cold solder joints and is quite a pain sometimes.

I've owned them and had troubles... Mostly if you use them and move them a lot like from shows etc... If it just sits in your house, you may do ok. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Marshall 9100/9200
              EL34 100/100 EL34 50/50

I'd personally own any of the others with no worries at all.

Comment

If you want the least coloration, get something that has tubes that don't saturate easily and show their colors...

IMO, EL34 amps saturate failry easily. 6L6 amps not as much, and KT 88s will take a lot of volume before doing.

They ALL have their character, and like Pete said, find the oone you like or works best with your stuff. I've found the KT88 to be my favorite, Either they don't color the sound so much, (till really loud) or I just like the character, not sure. Maybe it's both.

Comment

I've heard Marshalls construction can be tempermental and not just here. You never know how substantiated those claims are tho unless you hear it from someone who has owned them. Tube power amps are best shock mounted regardless of make but not everyone can afford a shock mount rack.
                  I've never tried the carvin which is supposed to be a decent amp. ADA has an EL34 model as well which is two spaced but I've only seen them up for sale on ebay .. they're still pretty pricey.

Comment

here's the deal I heard a pod pro running thru a peavey classic 120 and it sounded awsome I am now thinking of going this route and what I know is I want tube power but am unsure what I want to use for power for example you may have checked out the Krank review and for a 100 watt tube head it is under powered I just don't want to run into this same problem with a power amp.the peavey sounded good but I would like to get opinions on the marshall,Vht,and mesa's.and I noticed the Marshall has a gain control on it and i want to try to run the pre-amp as unaffected as possible.I do relize the added gain control on the Marshall may make the pre-amp sound even better but it may also be a bad thing.the Mesa,VHT,and Peavey have only vol,presence,and depth for controls so they seem to be a better choice for Me

Comment

I have a friend that had a Marshal and he said it is nothing but a headache. I had the Mesa 2:90 and got rid of it because it was a real muddy/mushy tone. I tried retubing with all different brands and just hated its tone. Thats jmo, im not a real big boogie fan anymore.

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

If you have the scratch....

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          I've never tried the carvin which is supposed to be a decent amp.

[/ QUOTE ]
                          I've got a Carvin DCM150, which is their single-rack model, and it's a pretty decent, transparent, flat sounding amp. It's even got an eq enhance button for boosting the bass and treble if you want a little extra flavor.
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Is that tube or SS tho? single space is usually SS.

Comment

Yeah, it is SS. Even most of their two- and three-rack spaces are SS, but they do make a few cool power amps with tubes, also.
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X