No announcement yet.

Calling Twisteramps - Just got a Vetta!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling Twisteramps - Just got a Vetta!

Hello Pete:

I just got a used Vetta and would like to get some advice on how to get the most out of it. I know that the Vetta is your main amp, so any tips/recommendations on how to make the amp sound good will be greatly appreciated. What would you say is the best guitar and pickups that sound best with the Vetta? I play 80's metal and have a GMW strathead and an Ibanez RG 550 that are my main players. Both guitars have Dimarzio pickups. By the way, I will be pairing the Vetta with a Genz Benz 2x12 cab.

Re: Calling Twisteramps - Just got a Vetta!

I haven't had any problems with any guitars through the Vetta... I have to say though, so far I prefer EMGs the best with it - my new steinberger kills through it.

What do you think about it so far?

Pete

Comment

I actually haven't got the amp. I just won it in an auction. I think I should get it by Wednesday.

Comment

I know you're asking the other Pete, but as a very satisfied Vetta player I thought I'd chime in here too.

What I've noticed is that everybody pretty much comes up with their own approach to this amp. At first I tried to reverse engineer a lot of very well programmed patches (including Twister's...thanks for posting those, Pete). Although I learned quite a bit, I didn't get good tones that way. The reason, I believe, is that you have to work the amp in the context of the cab you're using, the room you're in, and the volume you're playing at.

I finally saw the light when I stepped back and started using the Vetta head the same way I'd use a tube head:
        - Pick one amp model at a time...the dual amp thing rarely works out.
        - Start with no stomps, no effects, no EQ, and most importantly, no gate.
        - Most of the time, don't use the cab sims. You already have a cab, so what's there to simulate? There are exceptions...the Matchless model sounds amazing with the Matchless 2x12 cab sim, for example. When you start out, though, don't waste a lot of time on the cab sims--just turn 'em off. All the cab sims do is throw another EQ curve on your sound to confuse you some more.
        - Turn the tone knobs until it sounds good at your intended playing volume. If you're going to play cranked, you have to set the amp up with the volume cranked. Trust the Vetta...the tone is in there. If you hear something harsh and fizzy, don't fvck with notch EQs. Just turn down the Treble and Presence.
        - Use effects the same way you would with a head. Very little, and only when needed. With everything at your fingertips, it is too easy to go nuts. Most of the time I just have a hint of spring reverb.
        - Twister will tell you the same thing (I learned it from him)...the Vetta Juice compressor stomp is your friend. It gives the high gain amp sims a more squishy, tube-like responsiveness.

Like I said before, people seem to find completely different ways of making the Vetta work for them. I'm not trying to sell this as the RIGHT way. It's just what worked for me. The Vetta can sound absolutely amazing.

Pete
        This electric phase ain't no teenage craze -UFO

Comment

Here is another way to get GREAT tones out of the Vetta.
          1. Plug it in
          2. turn it on
          3. plug in your guitar
          There are so many good factory presets you will be totally stoked. Post a review when you get it.

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
            This electric phase ain't no teenage craze -UFO

Comment

I sold mine in December. I thought I'd be happy just using the POD. Not!

I've got another one coming this week.
              I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

So odd I am thinking of getting another Vetta right now too. I really do miss it. The Vetta Juice is so important IMO and most the guys @ Vettaville will agree too

Electricphase pretty much flat out nailed it and his post should be a disclaimer on every vetta sold [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                I keep the bible in a pool of blood
                So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

Pardonb my ignorance, but what is the Vetta juice?

Comment

It is one of the compressor models on the Vetta. It isn't modeled after anything it is their own design... and it absolutely helps your tone on many of the models in the vetta
                    I keep the bible in a pool of blood
                    So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

ElectricPhase nailed it... one thing I'd suggest is to tweak your tone like he said (turn off all fx, cab emulations, etc...) and then once you have it where you want, try the different cab emulations! Don't pay any attention to what it says, just use them as tone filters. I've scored some decent tones by running the same amp w/same settings in a stereo cab... but using two different speaker emulations, one that was deeper (the Hiwatt cab has a lot of girth) and then another one like the V30 Marshall or the recto cab.

Pete

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        I sold mine in December. I thought I'd be happy just using the POD. Not!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I am with Tim. I am using a PODxt Live on stage at church and it definitely is not as versatile as the Vetta.

Comment

So is it a night and day difference between a POD and a Vetta? For me, the convenience is more of a selling point for the POD than the tone. If the Vetta is a big step up...
                          Of course, it is a big step up in price too.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            So is it a night and day difference between a POD and a Vetta? For me, the convenience is more of a selling point for the POD than the tone. If the Vetta is a big step up...
                            Of course, it is a big step up in price too.

[/ QUOTE ]

In my opinion, there is a big differnece between the POD and the Vetta but not between the PODxT and the Vetta. Assuming you have the newest firmware flashed, the xt sounds phenominal and mimics my Vetta on many amps but that is obviously going D/O to the board.

The Vetta seems weak in the D/O area currently and that is a huge issue for some. You cant beat the versatility, sounds and overall ease of use you get with the Vetta or Vetta 2. Add the digital module and plug in your Variax and save your patches with specific guitars, amps, effects and soon with Workbench...alternate tunings...all within one package. I love mine!

Comment

Working...
                            X