Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice with buying an amp!

I am not sure what to get!

We are currently in between changin roles in the band. On guuitarist left so i have to fill it's shoes and sing along! Literally! I am also a singer!

Anyway, we are in a rock oriented band with lots of synths. A modern age Depeche Mode if you will!
    Just so you know.

I've been around these forum for some time now (not lately, though) and i got some really good feedback on my 'gear to be'. I've changed from Line6 Pod pro, ada mp-1, rocktron voodu, mesa studio preamp, all powered with mesa's fifty/fifty...Lots of rack gear in there (Intellifex, Tc parametric Eq, different tuners, wireless...changed some guitars aswell!

Anyway now i am into buying completely different. I am sick, of trying out million different sounds from the vast rack gear available, i just want to play. Have some knobs to turn and lots of gain to release.
    I am thinking going for an amp. Not combo, since i still own a 4x12 cab with celestion V30's. I love it!
    I am also sick of spending lots of time and $ for buying stereo stuff when there is (for now at least) very few opportunity to play stereo. (2 mike's, panning....)
    Not really hard work but a bigger arena is a place to really rock it stereo IMHO.

SO what are my option for a good mono, 50w (around, not a 100w, do we need so powerful amps????) all tube amp.

I've been looking into mesa Single rec (rectoverb), had the pleasure of trying it out today, but unfortunately the guy had already sold it.
    I really liked it. The fat sound coming form a single coil was really something i've hoped for. I can only think what a humb mode would do to the sound.

So before i made the final decision is there something else worth trying out, worth thinking about?
    Here are some ideas i had, but please tell me what you think. Again i really liked the mesa sound (from my 50/50 days)

-MEsa single
    -Hughes & KEttner XXX
    -JCM 800
    -VHT (pitbull)
    -Soldano
    -ENGL
    -Peavey 5150
    -anything else?

I am not into shredding one bit. Just hard riffs. No multitap solo nedded just raw power

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Thanks a lot

Re: Need advice with buying an amp!

If you're doing pseudo electronic stuff, you might consider a modelling amp to give you a more varied range of tones to compliment the synth stuff.

Did I just say that? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/what.gif[/img]
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Seeing what you've had, and what your are contemplating, I'd say ENGL would be a logical step to take...

Comment

a Vetta head?...

Comment

I am really not inot that modeling amp stuff, no more!
          Like i said i had the Line6 pod pro, rocktron Voodu which now my other guitarist uses.
          SO one part of the guitars will blend in nicely with synths as you suggested.
          But i crave for something tubey, powerful, no digital crap, just raw fat tube power.
          I've nver played an ENGl but would not mind!Any special models i should look after?

Comment

If you just want raw, pure tube power, and only around 50 watts-get an ENGL Fireball. It would be perfect for what you want it for. ENGL even says it's a rock amp, but it is very versitile. It has lots of balls and only 60 tube watts. I would really look into it. Mine kicks ass for everything I do with it. Whether it be rock, metal, blues...

Comment

Buy a recto or a mark 4, you'll never look back.

Comment

Dunno, I had a recto here and looked back almost immediately, haha...

Yes, Firebal and Powerballs are pretty sweet sounding units, then again, the Blackmore and SE are cool as well.

Listen to the soundbytes area for all the ENGL and other cool pieces.
                http://rocksolidamps.com

Comment

Out of your list I prefer the Soldano, if you are talking the SLO. You might want to check out the Carvin Legacy, or wait for the Carvin V3 to be released and check that out.

Comment

Working...
                  X