Line 6 - HD147

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Line 6 - HD147

Have any of your guys tried this head yet? I currently have a Randall RG200sc but it doesn't cut the way I like and I think I could get WAY better tone out of the HD147. I am gonna try the Randall with a sonic maximizer first before I sell it and deside to start saving for the HD147. I am mostly looking for a badass death metal tone that is brutal but at the same time has alot of note value and the HD147 sounds like it models some pretty cool amps like Bogner,ENGL ect.

Re: Line 6 - HD147

The sound bytes on their sites sound pretty weak on that model... I hope it's better in person.

Comment

Is that the silver one w/ the purple lights?
      If so, we used them at Progpower last year, and I was impressed, as were most of the bands.
      I am a tube snob, but like modelers for what they do and the flexability they offer. The only SS amp I ever really liked was the old Randall.
      VERY versatile, and the footboard allowed some cool things to be controlled w/out having to go back to the amp(mute/tune/realtime effect control)
      I tried one recently at the local GC, and it sounded like a cow pattie!
      I think the Vetta allows much more control of your tone.
      However, from what I have heard, if the death metal tone is what you want - get a 5150 and a maximizer....

Comment

Cleve, ALL the line6 clips suck... I can't believe they sell a single amp with those clips. The Line6 stuff is very tweakable, and depending on the cab you use can sound excellent or craptacular. The HD is the closest they have to a 'quickly tweak' kinda amp though... for the money a new one costs, I'd get a Vetta I and upgrade it for free to the II firmware.

Pete

Comment

I used to own a 5150 combo and it sucked lol. The tone was all high end and it ended up breaking like 3 times (all blown transformers in the power amp section). So i got rid of it and got a 412 and the Randall head for a trade on the used 5150. Also I am not a fan of tubes because of reliablility issues. Anyways thanks fot the imput
          guys [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

I guess what it boils down to is I need to get the dudes at the guitar shop to order one in and go try it out. I was also thinking of getting a pod xt pro and a power amp but this head is bassically that in an all in one unit, so i think it would be more practical.

Comment

The HD147 kicks ass, plain and simple. Great for heavy stuff.

Comment

It can do alot of sounds and it has a 5150 model that sounds very nice too, no Peavey cabs though.

Here is what would be nice if the HD147 also had
                Amps:
                Peavey XXX
                Mesa Mark IIc+/Mark 3
                CAE3 + VHT2150
                ENGL Blackmore/Fireball/Powerball/Savage

Cabs:
                Genz Benz (Only one i could think of now)

If it had those things too, it would be the greatest amp ever [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
                Cleve, ALL the line6 clips suck... I can't believe they sell a single amp with those clips. The Line6 stuff is very tweakable, and depending on the cab you use can sound excellent or craptacular. The HD is the closest they have to a 'quickly tweak' kinda amp though... for the money a new one costs, I'd get a Vetta I and upgrade it for free to the II firmware.

Pete

[/ QUOTE ]

what cab do you use, or have used?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

Pete

[/ QUOTE ]

Bogner's clips are terrible too but I think they do alright in the sales end
                  I keep the bible in a pool of blood
                  So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

I have a line6 cab (flextone 4x12) that I prefer, but I may have blown the speakers out of. Still checking it out... for gigs I usually use a 75watt celestion loaded Marshall 4x12 slant. Also played the vetta through a Bogner Uber cab, Bogner V30 cab, Peavey VTM 85w celestion loaded cab, 2x12 ADA splitstack, and celestion G80 loaded Gallien Krueger cab.

Pete

Comment

So the Line6 and the Marshall cab sounds the best with it. what is the difference between the two ? (I've never heard the Line6 cab)

I use a 75w celestion Marshall too, I'm getting a really good tone, it's the best of what i've tried so far.
                      I think Mesa cabs color the sound abit too much and Behringer cabs just plain suck hehe, didn't have enough [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] punch i guess is the right word.

Comment

Line6 cab sounds better with the speaker emulations, and isn't as low endy/muddy as the marshall cab to my ears.

Pete

Comment

The Line 6 clips are horrid, I have tried there spider II head just to try out my 750XL and I got was better tone. I think the problem is the guy playing the clips sucks and they don't dail in the amps well (I can't belive a big company like line 6 would even think of posting those). So i am not worried about the tone because of the clips lol.

Comment

I sell the HD147 here... in the shop at low volumes it sounds AMAZING. In a rehearsal room by itself at high volumes it sounds AMAZING. But... as soon as you start playing in a band situation it completely falls apart.

Wierd, like it doesn't move air the same way a real amp does.
                            Special deals for JCF members on Jackson/Charvel, Suhr, Anderson, Nash, Splawn, Bogner, LSL, Ibanez, Diezel, Friedman, Bad Cat, 3rd Power, Dr. Z, ENGL and more. FREE SHIPPING! 0% FINANCING!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              I sell the HD147 here... in the shop at low volumes it sounds AMAZING. In a rehearsal room by itself at high volumes it sounds AMAZING. But... as soon as you start playing in a band situation it completely falls apart.

Wierd, like it doesn't move air the same way a real amp does.

[/ QUOTE ]
                              I couldn't have explained it better myself, Matt. I saw a band perform about 6 months ago and one guitarist used a HD147 the other a 5150II. I was able to hear the guitarist using a 5150II better, even though I was standing right in front of the guitar player using the HD147... It just doesn't cut through the mix!

Comment

Working...
                              X