Mesa users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa users

Hey, I've got a triple rec. I run NOTHING through the FX loop, however I leave it on, so I can use the level on the front as a master volume.

Does anyone else do this? I've never changed it because I like the way it sounds, but I'm wondering if anyone else does it. I played a show recently, and a guy told me he thought it was wierd.

Re: Mesa users

That's something I recently starting doing on my Fender amp. I just leave a cord in the loop, not connected to anything, use the loop level knob as a master volume.
    Also, another way to get a master volume control is by using a volume pedal (like a Dunlop High Gain pedal) in the loop.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Deneb -

Buy a high quality patch cord and run it in the loop. Because the loop is tube buffered, it will add another tube the the signal path. The extra tube seems to warm of the signal, but YMMV.

Matt
      ...that the play is the tragedy, "Man"

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        Hey, I've got a triple rec. I run NOTHING through the FX loop, however I leave it on, so I can use the level on the front as a master volume.

Does anyone else do this? I've never changed it because I like the way it sounds, but I'm wondering if anyone else does it. I played a show recently, and a guy told me he thought it was wierd.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually where keeping the loop on helps is if you are using the solo function. However if you are not and turn the loop off and the mesa is running at full volume all the the time with the channel volumes controlling each channels level. The loop/master control controls the over all volume, with it off it is just at full blast!

Comment

Vince Sansevere told me about the patch cable trick with the effects loop on a Dual Rec many moons ago. I'd try it but I plan on putting effects in my effects loop when I get mine.

Comment

You don't have to run a patch cable in it to leave the loop on. There is one of the rotary knobs in the back just turn it to LOOP ON and you can use the solo functions, and the output as an overall master volume. I've always done it this way, so we're playing, and the sound guy says, turn up just a hair, it's easier to do this than turn all three channels. For the most part the tonal characteristics (eq) stay the same if you turn up just a little.

I've noticed the main changes in tone go from when you're playing at bedroom level, to small practice room level, and then when you're playing at bar level, you've got to re-eq the amp, then take into account every other thing that we all worry about.

I digress however. The cable doesn't seem to make it sound any different to my ears, but then again, it was probably because I was running fx in the loop for awhile. Then again, the effects I was running into it were better run infront of it (chorus, flange). I don't use an external eq, but if you do, a boss GE7 in the loop sounds nice.

Comment

Holy crap, fuck that loop thing for the master volume. I just played for a few minutes, as I'm getting ready to head out to work.

My tone was never bad, but damnit, it can be a lot better with this amp. Usually I had channel 1, bright bell like cleans. channel 2, modern, decent amount of gain, not boosted mids, but right about mid mids. Then channel 3 was my scooped sound if that makes sense.

Well after fucking with modes, more than likely the channel 2 will be in either vintage, or in a re eqed modern. And channel 3 will be my main channel.

Anyway, I digress. With the loop on, you activate the wet and dry signal knobs on the back. Move one of them once, with NOTHING in it. Drastic changes in tone and volume. When I turned off the loop, and just put the channels to where they would even out, holy shit does it sound better.

I'm running behind on going to work to type this, I'll give a better account of it when I come home, and then tomorrow with some settings for everyone who has a recto to try out.

Comment

I have checked it out many different ways loop on-patch cable ect-at this point I just don't mess with it. Seems to kind of compress my sound and i already screw with my amp settings enough-

Comment

Working...
                X