Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall 6100 30th Anniversary 1962-1992

Any thoughts on this baby?

I know it's features just need to hear some expiriences you might had with this had.
    Good or bad!

Re: Marshall 6100 30th Anniversary 1962-1992

depends on the amp, i currently own the blue tolex version with EL34's and let me tell you it is a amazing amp! I have herd the limited edition Brass one is fantastic but a little high for my blood! I have also owned the black 6100LM with the 5881's. If you want more classic marshall metal/Rock go with the EL34 model, if you want more of a zack or heavier tone go with the 5881 model, both amps sounded killer! Just be carefull what you buy, alot of people had the 6100LM and removed the sticker and threw EL34's in it. The problem with this is if they didnt change the resisters inside the amp will have problems! On one of the Marshall forum it was voted best marshall made!

Here is a run down of the series
    Limited edtion Brass chasis Blue tolex hand wired
    Limited edtion Blue Tolex with EL34's
    Black Tolex with EL34's
    Black Tolex 6100LM with 5881's
    They also made combos but i herd if you dont vent them well enough or add a Fan they can develope heat issues!

Comment

And it is a great amp, defintly worth the price, but if you are looking for that deep low end grind it will probaly not be the amp for you. On the 6100LM model besides having the 5881 tubes i also herd the modified the Red channel to be a bit heavier.

Comment

yes I think the 5881 one sounds best..

Even in my 9200 5881 Monobloc...I like MUCH better than the EL 34 version..much better!!!
        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

Even in my 9200 5881 Monobloc...I like MUCH better than the EL 34 version..much better!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

With your style of music i can understand, for my heavy style of music i prefer 6L6's which are basicaly the same thing! Either way both amps are killer!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I had both too and the 5881 sounded better to me also.. I miss that amp..
            I keep the bible in a pool of blood
            So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

the 6100 is an absolut amazing amp.
              the complete amp is true valve-powered.
              you can change the sound of each channal by changing the preamptubes.
              i own the black EL34 version and i love it. i´m more the "classical-rocksound" guy. i tried the EL34 and the 5881 version with an A/B-box setup.
              guitar -> a/b-selector -> both amps with the same settings. for me the EL34 sounds better, but it depends on the style of music you play.

the mod of the lead-channal is not really much. marshall said they added more gain to the channal, but i think the original 6100 lead-channal has enough gain.

i would buy one again if mine would be stolen or would f**k up.

Comment

WEll I pay "metal"....but that's not much a secret...

Oh what kind of metal....hmmmmmDeath ? Black Power.....I made up my own style...I like to call it "Black Power" Metal.. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

No seriously I play an Uber loaded with El 34...My ONLY complaint with the amp...Pete / John and I already discussed converting the poweramp section to KT88s..or at least 6L6s...

The EL34s color the sound WAYYYYYYYYYYY too much when the amp is cranked to high volume levels...to midrangy...EL34s..."Honk" when you push them hard...they sound like a obnoxious car horn to me...and it loses all its bottom end ..IMO..

The 6L6s and especially the KT88s color the preamp much less IMO and DEFINELY retain the low end when pushed hard...well that's what I know..

I want my preamp section to do all the work...the I don't want coloration of the power amp tubes..

When Ampeg came out with their Lee Jackson VL series heads...I had two...one loaded with 6550s and one with EL 34s...I even liked the 6550s better..

So I guess I don't like EL34s.. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  WEll I pay "metal"....but that's not much a secret...

Oh what kind of metal....hmmmmmDeath ? Black Power.....I made up my own style...I like to call it "Black Power" Metal.. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

No seriously I play an Uber loaded with El 34...My ONLY complaint with the amp...Pete / John and I already discussed converting the poweramp section to KT88s..or at least 6L6s...

The EL34s color the sound WAYYYYYYYYYYY too much when the amp is cranked to high volume levels...to midrangy...EL34s..."Honk" when you push them hard...they sound like a obnoxious car horn to me...and it loses all its bottom end ..IMO..

The 6L6s and especially the KT88s color the preamp much less IMO and DEFINELY retain the low end when pushed hard...well that's what I know..

I want my preamp section to do all the work...the I don't want coloration of the power amp tubes..

When Ampeg came out with their Lee Jackson VL series heads...I had two...one loaded with 6550s and one with EL 34s...I even liked the 6550s better..

So I guess I don't like EL34s.. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Perfect solution for this if you can afford it is to take the line out and run it into a power amp running 6L6's.
                  Hopefully you would either have 2 stereo cabs or a stereo cab. If you dont have two cabs you can always also buy a hotplate and just use it as a load on the head and then have the power amp goto the cab. I personaly would rather do this because then i would have the option of running both el34 and 6L6's or have my choice of running either one. Not to mention i like to put a little delay between the amp and the power amp to give it a nice thick tone!

Comment

HEy guys!

Thanks a lot for all the answers.

I would really need a simple amp. Not one i would have to replace the tubes(6l6) and the resistor in order to work bette, nor would i like ot use hotplate because the poweramp section aint good enough!

Is this a good amp on its own, or it really gets good only if you tweak its resistors?
                    I dont mind tweaking the knobs, no sir.

How is it different from MEsa?
                    How do hte amp-simualtors work if its all tube powered?
                    I read there is some JCM 800 simulation and so on...

Comment

it´s one of the best marshallamps ever.

can´t tell the differences to a mesa, the only thing i can tell you is: it sounds like a typical marshall because it is a marshallamp and not a mesa!

the amp has no simulations in it, but the crunch channel sound nearly like a JCM800 if you use the B-mode.

overall it is an amazing amp. i felt in love first time i played it (two years ago) and i´m still happy when i enter our rehearsal-room and turn on the amp.

i never used the DI-Output of the amp, i allways use a mic in front of the cab.

Comment

Greg Crowe has one, I've played through it... not my cup of tea. He has the full 'brass chassis' stack... maybe the brass affects the tone? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Pete

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          ... not my cup of tea.

[/ QUOTE ]

+1. I had the blue tolex version a few years ago and didn't really care for it either. Then again I've not been a fan of post JCM-800 Marshalls in general.
                          Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

The EL34s color the sound WAYYYYYYYYYYY too much when the amp is cranked to high volume levels...

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I have other complaints about the Uber, but that's for another thread [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]. The EL34 power section doesn't make much sense to me either, especially when you consider the huge amount of preamp gain that amp has. The signal is already at full tilt by the time it reaches the power section, so why is there the need for the EL34s to further distort (or in the case of the Uber, further compress) your tone? An Uber loaded with KT88s or 6550s makes more sense to me, and I'd like to hear one because I think a different power section would only improve the sound of this amp.

Bill, have you ever tried running the Uber's preamp into another power amp, like the VHT 2-90-2 etc.???

Comment

No...But I sure in the hell would like to try..

I think Running my preamp section into John's VHT 2150 w/ KT 88s//is damn worth investigating...if it could be done.

Funny we had both amps together for a long time and THAT never crossed our minds..well hindsight is always 20 / 20..

I love the Uber at low to Moderate ..to moderately high volume levels ...but it seems that the EL34s ..put the squash on all its coolness when the Volume is pushed more than 50% or so..

Sorry for the late reply Siggy..WOZ ..I been playing with myself alot lately!!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Siggy remember our "lovers spat" over some rap meta BS...that was silly like a ....well like a very silly ..thing! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I see now that you know a bit about good tone...soooooooooo you have redeemed yourself my friend!!!!

I'm just high.. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X