Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: JCM800 + Metal Zone =???

[ QUOTE ]
    I auditioned for Ozzy for the Speak of the Devil tour when Randy died. I got a call back but that was all I got. I also auditioned to tour with Foreigner for their Juke Box Hero world tour. The Juke Box was actually in the lobby of Bud Kreager's office in Times Square. Very cool. My band was too heavy at the time. We were similar to an early Queensryche/Iron Maiden at the time. Your pics are cool. I can tell by your posts that we have alot in common. Lots of years on the road is obvious to me when I read your posts.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, i remember the ozzy auditions....i went to a "cattle call", where you basically got 3 minutes in front of a video camera....no ozzy, no band, etc. gues i didn't make it.

but i have to say...i love the speak of the devil live album with brad gillis. he RIPPED on those black sabbath songs!

thanks for the kind words...yes, i am an old road dog. still love to travel and make lots of noise!

Comment

Yea, Brad was a good choice. He wasn't at the audition that I was at! My experience was the same as yours. No Ozzy, no band, but I did get a call back for another audition. There were some pretty heavy hitters from the local metal scene there. I am sure you will agree... back in the early 80's there were a heck of alot of shredders. I played Revelation, Eruption and ended with Mood for a Day.

Comment

I have a JCM 800 2210 and I use a Metal Zone/GE-7 EQ combination. It absolutely kills. Great overdrive with great definition. I read online where a lot of people say things like, "Duuuude! The Metal Zone sucks, man! The Marshall gives you the sound, maaaannn!" Whatever.

Now on to the goods. My recommended settings are:

Set your tube Marshall on the CLEAN channel. Yes, I know that the clean channel sucks on Marshalls. It does on mine, too. That's not the point.

Run the Metal Zone and the GE-7 between the guitar and amp, NOT through the effects loop!

Go from the guitar into the GE-7 EQ FIRST. I've read advice on the Web to the contrary, but make the GE-7 the FIRST
        pedal between the guitar and amp. The sliders are set as follows from left to right:
        100 - FLAT (ZERO position)
        200 - Centered on the second notch BELOW flat (One notch above -15)
        400 - Centered on the first notch ABOVE flat
        800 - Centered on the first notch BELOW +15
        1.6k - FLAT (ZERO position)
        3.2k - FLAT (ZERO position)
        6.4k - Centered on the first notch BELOW flat
        LEVEL (IMPORTANT) Leave the LEVEL (Far-Right) slider control FLAT (center position). There will be a
        degree of hiss involved if you deliberately boost it!

Next, go into the Metal Zone with these settings:
        LEVEL - Your choice (This is for volume, obviously)
        HIGH and LOW (Inner and Outer ring, respectively):
        both at 12:00 (Straight up)
        MIDDLE and MID FREQ: Middle (Inner ring) all the way OFF. Mid Freq. at about 1:00 to 1:30
        DISTORTION - 3:00

Someone try this and give me a full report!
        Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

I couldn't play with MZ when the mids are way OFF.

I use this setting for most of the time.
          HI - 12:00-1:00
          LOW - 2:00-3:00
          Mid - 11:00
          Mid Freq - 1:00
          Gain - 3:00

and most of the amps settings with MZ
          HI - 10:00-11:00
          Mid - 2:00-3:00
          Low - 1:00

You see, MZ and amp have opposite settings, but it gives you a very massive and cool sound
          "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            I couldn't play with MZ when the mids are way OFF.

[/ QUOTE ]

Keep in mind, though, that I'm using it in conjunction with the GE-7 and I also have the Mid control on the amp set at about 12:00 or so.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              I have a JCM 800 2210 and I use a Metal Zone/GE-7 EQ combination. It absolutely kills. Great overdrive with great definition. I read online where a lot of people say things like, "Duuuude! The Metal Zone sucks, man! The Marshall gives you the sound, maaaannn!" Whatever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, this setup is great although I'm reluctant to scoop the mids that much. I've actually found that I don't need to use my GE7 when I'm using the MZ. The eq on the pedal plus the tone controls on the amp are enough.

I like to keep it simple so that if I'm struggling to get a good tone in a live setting, I only have to look in 2 places (MZ eq plus amp). But any way you look at it, the JCM 800 plus MZ can create some seriously wicked metal tones.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, this setup is great although I'm reluctant to scoop the mids that much. I've actually found that I don't need to use my GE7 when I'm using the MZ. The eq on the pedal plus the tone controls on the amp are enough.

I like to keep it simple so that if I'm struggling to get a good tone in a live setting, I only have to look in 2 places (MZ eq plus amp). But any way you look at it, the JCM 800 plus MZ can create some seriously wicked metal tones.

[/ QUOTE ]

My tone actually has a lot of midrange, but I'm using the amp's tone controls and the GE-7 to accomplish this. I find the mids on the Metal Zone itself to be pretty harsh. I mainly use the MZ just to provide the distortion.

Comment

Working...
                X