Thoughts on Randall RG100SC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on Randall RG100SC

I sold my amp to Jim (Sambencuda) last month thinking I would just play through my Korg AX1500 with headphones for about 6 months until I could get another amp. I can't take it!! I need an amp! I saw Jim listing this Randall model for a good price and did some research on it (harmony central, etc.) and finally contacted him yesterday. Unfortunately, it is gone. But he said that it was a really good amp and the best SS amp in his opinion. It really seemed to fit what I'm looking for:

$300-400 used (most likely solid-state at that price).
    Something I can use at home but also loud enough to use when I get back into a band.
    Distortion good enough so I don't need a pedal, ditto for reverb.
    A good clean channel.
    Built-in chorus is a bonus, another pedal not needed!
    A regular, straight-forward amp - not a modeling amp.

If anyone here has/had/played one of these I would appreciate any input. OR, if anyone can suggest another amp that fits my criteria, it would be helpful. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
    Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Re: Thoughts on Randall RG100SC

I had the RG100HT, which I believe is the same thing, but in a rack-mounted form. Also, mine didn't have chorus but it did have reverb. You know, if I had to buy a solid-state head, this would be one of my first choices (along with the Tech 21 Trademark).

Here's an interesting tidbit...before the Krankenstein came out, I spied an RG100HT in one the Krank's assembly areas. I sense a bit of reverse engineering since that's rumored to be one of the late Dime's heads of choice.

Comment

I have a Crate GFX1200H stack, the head is small, but packs a lot of sound/tone. The gain is massive, the clean is CLEAN, and it has built in effects..chorus, reverb, delay, and flange. It's 120 ear splitting watts, and sounds great at lower volumes.

Comment

Something like this?
        http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...307017335&rd=1

That looks good (especially for the price!) but I forgot to mention I would prefer a 2x12 combo. Thanks for the input so far.

I have thought about Tech21 also. Either the Trademark or maybe a Power Engine60 to use with my Korg AX1500G.
        Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

yep, that's it. I've heard great things about the Tech 21. Good luck.

Comment

I've also always heard great things about the Tech 21 Trademarks.
            They should really fit your needs, too.
            http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

You should get a tube amp to power your Korg. If you are looking for a stand alone SS combo you should look at
              the Line 6 Spider 2 x 12, I love Randalls so you really can't go wrong there, Fender Rocpro 1000, any Peavey Ultra or Supreme, there are some killer Hughes and Kettners around that price too.

Comment

Working...
              X