My Single Recto needs help.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Single Recto needs help.......

I don't know what the hell happened, but I was trying out the new Boss compressor I got from Irfaan and everything was cool. I plugged it in through the loop, everything was cool, I unplug the cables from the loop, and the head, is dead. [img]/images/graemlins/sick.gif[/img] The tubes light up and I get a microphonic sound through the head itself (from the tubes?).

What the hell did I do? Help me before I have to go to an expensive amp guy. [img]/images/graemlins/help.gif[/img]
    "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Re: My Single Recto needs help.......

wow!
    I hope it's not broken...
    Does your amp have effect loop on/off switch?

Comment

Go back and retrack a few things. Try plugging the compressor back in. Sounds like a tube or a shorted something. Check your cord to your cab or trouble shoot it one thing at a time. Being that it powers up with out blowing any fuses is a good thing in the scope of it.

Comment

If it has a series loop, try plugging a patch cord from the send to the return. If this fixes the problem, one of your effects loop jacks is bad. A pretty common problem with jacks that open and close a circuit when being used...

Comment

I'm pretty sure the single recto has a parallel loop

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            I'm pretty sure the single recto has a parallel loop

[/ QUOTE ]

Well if that's the case, ignore me. You could still try it though...

Comment

Jim, your Single has a tube driven loop. If the tube went bad it would cause the problem. The exact same thing happened to a Dual that we were jamming on a few weeks ago. Also, try blowing some air into the loop jacks. Let me know before you bring it anywhere. I am pretty good with amps. JG

Comment

Thanks John! I'm thinking it's the loop tube. I get nothing to the cab at all. The only thing I hear is the microphonic noise when I play.

Now that I know, you'll be the guy that I bring it to! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Just switch the preamp tubes around. Your Mesa instructions will tell you which tube controls the loop. I have a spare 12ax7 that I know is good if you need it. I think it is the tube closest to the transformer but you will need to look it up in your manual.

Comment

Damn Jim, I can't believe that! I used my Korg AX1500 pedalboard through the loop all the time and never had a problem. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

I just re-read your original post and was wondering if plugging/unplugging stuff in the effects loop while the amp is on could cause a problem? Maybe one of the amp gurus here can chime in on that?

The only problem I ever had with the amp was sometimes I wouldn't get any sound from the cab and would have to wiggle the cable from the head around a little. I just thought of something else, have you tried blowing some compressed air into the effects loop jacks?
                    Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

I haven't had time to mess around with it, but I'll try the Jack and blowing some air into the loop. Hey John, are those the original tubes? I'm thinking I should just go ahead and replace them all. I think I'll be able to work it out. I'm not as worried as I was when it first happened. Plus I got jgcable! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        I haven't had time to mess around with it, but I'll try the Jack and blowing some air into the loop. Hey John, are those the original tubes? I'm thinking I should just go ahead and replace them all. I think I'll be able to work it out. I'm not as worried as I was when it first happened. Plus I got jgcable! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't replace all the tubes until you correct the problem. Single out if it is the tube that controls the loop first.
                        The amp sounded fantastic so buying a full set of tubes is probably not necessary. Try tapping the suspect tube with a pencil lightly while the amp is on and see if you hear anything.

Comment

I think they are the original tubes. I bought it in Sept. 2003 off eBay from a guy that bought it for his son who only used it a couple times.

Comment

I get the major toolbag of the year award! It's the speaker cable! I know, I know thats the first thing I should have checked, but it's basically a brand new Monster cable. The thought never crossed my mind.

[img]/images/graemlins/brow.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] (at self)

Comment

LOL! I had a feeling it was the cable, not the jacks. When I bought the cab at GC, I let them talk me into the overpriced, BS, Monster Cable. People can say "you get what you pay for" all they want but I also have a 10' Monster cable that I have to wiggle around with when it's plugged into one of my guitars. Then I have some no-name, generic cables that work FINE. Screw Monster! [img]/images/graemlins/rant.gif[/img]

Oh, and I'm glad to hear it was just the cable! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X