My Single Recto needs help.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tubes Jubilee ala mode

Bad speaker cable? I had that happen on an amp and I spent about two full minutes trying to figure it out just to find out that while I had it turned up to a moderate volume (with no sound), I was cooking my expensive GrooveTube set.
    In fact, with no output load, you can ruin a set of power tubes within a couple of minutes (perhaps MUCH less). Chances are your tubes are shot. If you get a mid-wash tone and your trebel and low dont work like they normally do, you are in the market for new tubes. I only buy good speaker cables, and have since stopped using the 5.00 cheapies you can get in the clearance bin (mine shorted out).
    If you have EL34s, look at the base and see if there is a color difference in the base (it should be one color). Also, GrooveTubes labels turn from pumkin orange to dingy brownish when they are over-cooked (I would imagine other brands would do this if they are silk-screened).

Been there, done that, and have the burned tubes to proove it.... >:-(

Comment

Re: Tubes Jubilee ala mode

Tubes are fine. I never left it on, standby or on while it wasn't producing any output. Only long enough to see if was working or not. Plus I know to kill the master when I'm having problems.

I was using a Monster speaker cable. I wouldn't consider that a "5.00 cheapie" cable. Although, I bet if I were using a 5.00 cheapie like I have for 15 years without issue, I wouldn't have had this problem. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
      "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

Monster is way overpriced junk. The folks that have been into the hige end audio scene have known this for 20 years.

Comment

I can't tell you if they are junk or not. I haven't used them at all except for this experience. The idiot here is me for assuming that since it's is a high priced cable, it was ok with out checking it. This could be a fluke, I don't know, but cheap cables have never done me wrong. Maybe I'm living on borrowed time! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I would say that if your expensive cable just died on you like that, then that qualifies as junk in my book. I have been using the same speaker cable for my amp since about 1987!

Comment

You could be right and I'm not defending them at all. I have never purchased a Monster cable this caem with the amp when I bought it. I know others that have used them and swear by them. To me, a speaker cable isn't something that just goes. The only time that thing experiences any wear is when it's plugged in and unplugged. That thing should last forever. Now a instrument cable on the other hand I can see going bad. There's a lot more movement there (for guitar and Bass anyway). Luckily, it didn't do any damage.

Comment

Working...
              X