Vetta vs PODXT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vetta vs PODXT?

I have a Vetta combo upgraded to the Vetta II software and a PODXT with the newest upgrade. For some reason the Vetta and the PODXT's JCM 800 models sound nothing alike. With the POD it sounds nice and full with plenty of gain, but on the Vetta it sounds thin and weak even with the Screamer stomp box. Anyone else have this problem? Should I try to reload the firmware for the Vetta?

Re: Vetta vs PODXT?

IIRC right now the POD XT has completely different (and much better) DI settings, that's probably the difference you're hearing.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

I noticed the same thing on mine, I have the same setup as you.
      Do what Pete and a couple of the other guys have suggested and take all the cabinet emulators, effects and the like off the model and start from scratch.

Comment

Did you ever get the JCM800 to sound as good on the Vetta, Lord?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          Did you ever get the JCM800 to sound as good on the Vetta, Lord?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not yet, I am going to work on that patch this weekend.
          As you know with the Vetta, nothing is easy so it will probably take a bit of tweaking. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

As long as its not just my Vetta I'll stick to using other amp sims than the JCM800. It just sounds so good on the PODXT that I was hoping to copy it.

Comment

OK I think I discovered the problem on the JCM800 patch on the Vetta. Now the software version on mine is 2.03 so I don't know if it is the same on the 1.0 versions.
              It is the cab sim on the amp model. When I investigated the cab sim was the "Line 6 4x12" yuck!
              So I started with "no cab" and it sounded like ass also!
              So the cabs that sound like a JCM800 to me are as follows:
              Marshall with Green 20's
              " " 25's
              " " G12T 75's(my personal fav.)
              Soldano 4x12
              even the Hiwatt 4x12 didn't sound bad.
              Cab sims to definately stay away from:
              Treadplate
              Marshall V30
              Line 6

Amp sim was as follows:
              Gain between 3 and 4 o'clock
              Bas, Mids and Treble I left alone
              Presence 1 o'clock
              Volume between 3 and 4 o'clock
              then turn the master volume to taste the more the better.

Comment

Are you guys aware of www.instituteofnoise.com

There is a great (temporary) D/O fix for the vettas which will give you the sounds you are looking for at least in my opinion. Read the following:
                http://www.instituteofnoise.com/foru...TOPIC_ID=18072

Comment

The PODxt 2.0 is basically half a Vetta, with the same sound engine, so they should be almost the same if you use the same settings. I find the Vetta very difficult to program, for some reason, though I wouldn't mind owning one...

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    Are you guys aware of www.instituteofnoise.com

There is a great (temporary) D/O fix for the vettas which will give you the sounds you are looking for at least in my opinion. Read the following:
                    http://www.instituteofnoise.com/foru...TOPIC_ID=18072

[/ QUOTE ]

I bought Armin's DO mods - they suck. The stock ones are much better IMHO... if you have money to burn, you might want to try them, but for me, they were absolutely worthless.

Pete

Comment

I have tried the POD Pro a while back, and and wasn't all "that" impressed. The Vetta did seem better. I'd "almost" consider the POD Pro to toy with through my VHT2150 if I thought it was comparable to the Vetta...

Are they the basically the same thing and the POD has different settings for DI?

Have the POD Pro's improved in the last year or so? When I tried it, it didn't seem to be capable of a really heavy low chug... It's better now? The Vetta seems to be able to do that reasonably well from what I hear on CDs.

Comment

John oddly enough the POD PRO seemed to be better for high gain than the POD Pro XT by most accounts... I ran an original POd Pro through a VHT 2150 and personally I think the Vetta sounded better hands down.
                        I keep the bible in a pool of blood
                        So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

The POD Pro is the rackmount version of the original POD, whereas the PODxt is a different processor altogether. The PODxt also comes in a Pro rackmount version. Personally, I think the xt is way better for high-gain stuff (and everything else) than the original POD was, but quite a few folks disagree with me on that. However, it seems like most of the people I've seen who think that way are using their POD as a live preamp, rather than a direct recording device.

Comment

Working...
                          X