Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mesa F30 1x12 combo settings and impressions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa F30 1x12 combo settings and impressions?

Today was the second time I tried out the Mesa F30 1x12 combo amp at the local store. This time, I was very impressed with it. Thanks to the JCFers who recommended that I take this amp into the private practice room to evaluate at a more reasonable volume level instead of being public and disturbing customers. I tilted the amp against the wall since I always do that for better projection while standing up to play. I was quite impressed by it, but not its $1,225 Canadian price tag. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Ebay, here I come!

The clean channel is FANTASTIC. Such clarity and warm melty purity. The reverb is lush and fantastic sounding. Look at my settings below... yes, I use that much reverb. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Gives great atmosphere... reverb has always been my favorite effect besides distortion. Trebles are slightly accentuated for brightness, and I didn't realize until AFTER I went home and read my catalog that there is a pull-bright switch activated by pulling the Gain knob. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Mids and bass are slightly dipped to reduce boominess... this amp has a lot of that, I find.

The dirty channel is great. The settings I dialed in below are my vintage fat crunch settings. I am totally not looking for ultra high gain tone, but this amp can probably do it pretty well. I wouldn't know... I didn't venture into those deep waters. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Mids are accentuated to my level of fatness, and reverb is added for my level of lush lively richness and ambience.

The Contour function on the dirty channel soups up my vintage fat crunch tone with a slightly more modern flavor. I didn't notice much of a gain increase as Mesa claims, but what I did notice was a fuller, fatter, rounder, more in-your-face tone, almost like lifting a blanket off the amp.

Pros: Great tone, 1x12 combo which is ideal for me, individual gain/EQ/reverb/master controls, beautiful reverb, very easy and sensitive interactive controls.

Cons: Loud little bastard required me to crank the Master controls to the 9:00 position before it sounded great. Yes, I consider 9:00 in the realm of "cranking"... this is one loud amp for 30 watts. If they made a 15 or 20 watt version of this amp, it'd be a winner with me! This amp also feedbacked with a great tendency at this volume level. When I compare that to my Marshall 50W combo at home which I am used to not feedbacking, I had to learn to reign in a new beast, especially in the tiny little private room where I could not stand very far away from the amp.

Here are the settings that I dialed after twenty or so minutes of fine-tweaking. Top set of circles represents Channel 1 (clean), and the bottom set of circles represents Channel 2 (dirty).

Post your settings and I'll try them out next time I'm in the store! I can totally picture myself owning this killer little amp. Time to browse Ebay.

Thanks to Toejam and WarriorX7 for the Mesa F30 recommendations. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Re: Mesa F30 1x12 combo settings and impressions?

Oh sure, thanks to them....wadda bout ol Tone? [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I could swear I helped too... [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] .... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

settings: I also tilt the amp like you do, I put mine on a stand, the projection is so much better, she just wails then.
    My channel 1 settings are very close to yours. and those ch 2 settings you got are very usuable too, I can see where you would go for that. I am a bit more inlcined for more bite on my tone. OK my chan 2 settings are probably gonna freak you out a bit. To people that have not played this amp, these settings are not that outrageous as they look, really. I like a good defined, biting grit on my dirty channels. (all settings like a clock) SO I run my gain on 2:00 treble at 5:00 (maxed out)
    mids 7:00 (barely on) and Bass at 7:00 also. reverb at 9:00 master at a liveable level. This amp is one loud little bastard as you said. VERY loud.
    I brought my F30 to a buddies last nite and he tried it. He was very impressed. he is an old school marshall guy, and he loved it. He was very amazed at the flexability the amp had.

I am curious to see what you think of these if you try them. I hope you snag one there NOTP,they are such good amps. lots of bang for the buck. [img]/images/graemlins/band.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Let me know if you have any other questions.....thanks!!! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

You probably helped too... too many people help me on this forum, what a great place! My apologies! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Wow, that's a trebly tone there, what guitar are you using if I may ask? I remember cranking up the treble on my Marshall two years ago during jam sessions in order to cut through, but then discovered playing around with the midrange was more important for that, as well as providing fatness, so I don't mess too much with treble/bass controls. And then there are JCFers like Dreamland_Rebel who don't use any treble at all! Lots of great diversity here. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

So how does gain at the 2:00 position sound? I never got that far... even at the 12:00 position, there was more than enough gain, and that was WITHOUT the Contour mode activated! And this amp was prone to feedback when leaning in to adjust the settings, especially at the 12:00 position! I was literally scared! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

How do you like the bright pull switch? What does it do, boost presence or treble? Okay, I'm aware that presence is ultra-high end treble... I'm probably redundant. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I only closely inspected this amp briefly, but from what I saw, this amp was built quite well. I was surpised to find it half-closed-back... not sure why I was surprised.

God, I love the separate reverb controls. [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img] Really, the level of reverb in my diagram above isn't THAT much, I swear. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] From the 7:00 to 10:00 positions, I didn't even start hearing reverb yet! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

And another question I forgot to ask earlier. If I buy this amp, do I strictly have to stick with Mesa/Boogie tubes of the same kind since this thing is fixed bias? I think I read that somewhere. Can you tell me more about it? I've only ever owned one amp in my life and it's a solid state amp, totally maintenance free, love that. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Like these...

http://store.yahoo.com/mesa/mesboogtub.html

What's the point of all these tubes, and what's the difference between them all?

Comment

I've only tried the F50 and I really like that. I'll have to see if I can find an F30 to try.

What impressed me about these amps is that I can set all the tone controls to 12 o'clock and have a good basis for tweaking. Seems like a lot of amps you need to crank one or more of the tone controls to get it to start sounding right, but then you run out of room to adjust more.

Comment

Yup, that's one of the fundamental things I learned when trying amps, to find the center positions and then tweak accordingly. You can see my EQ settings above are all not very far from the center positions, and nothing is dimed or at zero.

Comment

You can't go wrong with Mesa... no way Jose! Warm melty purity and fat crunchies sum it up well. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
              (I get my F50 next week. Woo-hoo!) [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Em

Comment

Let me know if the F50 is ridiculously loud at my suggested settings, Em! We'll duel, my F30 with your F50! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Seriously, I couldn't believe the clean channel on this amp. WOW. The clean channel sounds awesome without having to turn it up. It was simply beautiful, especially with my reverb at the 1:00 position. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Oh yeah, I totally forgot to give you some settings yesterday when I came home. I was drunk, though, so you'll have to forgive me. LOL [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                  Anyway, the settings seem to change a lot lately, but they seem similar right now to what you've posted, except I keep my gain on the clean channel at about 9 o'clock (also have the gain pulled out for the bright boost) and the gain on the crunch channel at about 3 o'clock (usually with the contour boost on, too). Reverb on clean is about 10 or 11 o'clock, and reverb on crunch channel is about 7 or 8 o'clock. The volumes are usually set kinda low for home use, but I turn them up when I've jammed out with it a few times.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    And another question I forgot to ask earlier. If I buy this amp, do I strictly have to stick with Mesa/Boogie tubes of the same kind since this thing is fixed bias? I think I read that somewhere. Can you tell me more about it? I've only ever owned one amp in my life and it's a solid state amp, totally maintenance free, love that. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Like these...

http://store.yahoo.com/mesa/mesboogtub.html

What's the point of all these tubes, and what's the difference between them all?

[/ QUOTE ]
                    I changed my tubes out to JJ EL84s and EH 12AX7s. I didn't have anything biased at all. Usually Mesa says if you use their tubes you won't have to bias anything and that you should if you use different tubes. I didn't with this amp, but it still sounds fine to me.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Cool amp NOTP, tube amps are sweet...

Just ask whoever you get your tubes from to match them to Mesa's. Although I don't think that is a too much of an issue with EL-84's.

Mesa amps are great, the price is insane even in Canadian funds. Check eBay you'll find a better deal. You could also look at the DC-3 is the earlier version of the F Series and has 5 band EQ which will let you shape your tone a little more or let you use as a lead boost. I have the DC-5 which is the 50 watt 6L6 version and it sounds great even at lower volume levels to me.

Your are right about the clean, great clean channel and great reverb too. the DC-5 has a pull on the gain that push the clean into OD mode, almost JCM 800'ish.
                      shawnlutz.com

Comment

No problem Toejam, thanks for those settings anyways. I'll have to try them next time. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Thanks for the info about the tubes... I know virtually nothing about them! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I checked Ebay's Completed Listings and previous JCF Classifieds. Typical Ebay price was between $650 and $700 American, and WarriorX7's amp was for sale for $500!!!!!! Dayum!! [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] And I was busy drooling over his Les Paul Custom Lite that he had for sale in the same Classified ad! Regret... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Now JCFer "Diffrent Strings" owns that amp. [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Comment

NOTP- these are great amps. I've looked at the 30 and 50 combos myself. I just played a Lonestar a few weeks ago- a 2-12" combo. What a monster! Big bucks though. I personally think the F30 is the best deal for the money, and PLENTY loud enough for most scenarios.

Comment

I bought WarriorX7 amp and $500 was a smoking deal,but better yet I didn't get charged PST or GST when bringing it into Canada so it cost me $700 Canadian shipped

Comment

DUDE. How did you avoid taxes? I usually get hit with both taxes AND customs when bringing any parcel over the border. I am frustrated.

Comment

Working...
                              X