MXR Phase 90, MXR ZW OD and lesson learned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MXR Phase 90, MXR ZW OD and lesson learned

I read a local punk board and there is often gear for sale or trade there. A guy offered to sell a ZW OD for $125 or trade for a Phase 90. I thought I'd take a chance on it because I wanted a OD and I love MXR products even though I previously tried the ZW OD at a store using a Marshall with a LP and RG and hated it. So I picked up a used Phase 90 and on Friday he came down and we traded.

Now I got to try the Phase 90 for a few days before trading and made some trippy music. I'm not really into effects other than distortion so I didn't mind parting with it, but I thought it sounded very smooth with a wide range of speeds.

Now I get home, and first tested the ZW OD with my Ibanez RG (replaced with the stock RR1 pickups). Set up was Guitar > ZW OD > EQ > Amp. Sounded really good, and I could get tones similar from AC DC to Zakk Wylde. So I played around some more and exhausted all possible combinations of pedals/settings that I had with the ZW OD. Guitar > ZW OD > EQ > Amp sounded best though.

Now I pulled out my RR1 with EMG 81/85 and the Guitar > ZW OD > EQ > Amp was heaven. I found a tone I love and rocked out for the entire weekend (too sick to drink). Also tried all combinations of pedals/settings and Guitar > ZW OD > EQ > Amp was defintely the way to go.

Out of this I've learnt something important that I've seen posted here many times before and now I believe it. Testing gear at a store is totally different than testing gear at home. I can turn up the volume at home, spend hours on settings and try it with equipment I'm familiar with and get a better feeling if I like it or not. Originally I hated the ZW OD at the store, but at home I learned how great it sounded. From now on, whenever I buy any gear it'll be at a store with a return policy so that I can test it out with my own equipment to make an informed descision.

[img]/images/graemlins/rant.gif[/img]

Re: MXR Phase 90, MXR ZW OD and lesson learned

that´s what i do everytime i want to buy some new gear.
    i can allways take some gear with me, check it out at home and take it back if i don´t like it.
    the guys at "musikhalle" in nuremberg are fantastic. o.k. i must say that i buy my new gear there since 1992 and because of this, the guys are really good friends of mine right now. it´s not only a customer / dealer friendship, it´s a real friendship.

Comment

I rarely plug in at a music store, especially g.c.'s. First of all I get lock jaw of the fingers in front of people, and second of all you right, it's not the real world your playing in.

Comment

I'm the same way, Paige. I hate plugging in at GC, I think everyone is listening to me and I get all nervous and stressed. [img]/images/graemlins/help.gif[/img]

That's why I also like the 30-day return policy. Plus, you can't really determine if you like something playing it for 10 minutes in a store, you need to try it at home with your setup.
        Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

Dosen't that suck though? Ya get all amped up to try something you wanna buy and it sounds like crap at the store. That turns me off from buying it, but when ya take it home and mess with it, damned thing sounds awsome. Lucky I know a kickass dealer, so just as stated above, gotta love that return policy. Gotta watch out though, sometimes is 10 return and 30 exchange/credit.

Comment

Working...
          X