Big time rant...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big time rant...

So, what the hell is going on with gear prices these days???... I remember two years ago when I was able to get an ADA mp-1 for US$90 with no effort at all.. now, I dont seem to be able to find one in good shape for twice that much!... also I haven´t seen an Engl 530 or 520 preamps go on ebay in a while and when they do go the price tag is very high that goes for a buch of other gear as well... it seems like used gear is gone up the roof now that I can buy again!... horrible.

Re: Big time rant...

It does seem that way. I saw several Ibanez RG550's w/OHSC go for $150-200 last month, and now that im ready to buy, nothin under $300

Edit: On Ebay.

Comment

People are getting tax refunds?

I dunno, that's all I can figure. Couldn't give stuff away Jan-Feb
      When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

I'd say that is a lot of it, the tax refund time. Hard to find a lower cost used car as well right now, they're all getting snatched up and prices are high.

ENGLs always stay pricey though for some reason, hehe..

Comment

I noted big jumps up and down in prices on the rocktron chameleon preamp. when I did not have $$$$ they were going for $100. then when I had some cash they were $150 to $175. Now that I have one prices are back down.
          Makes me want to buy another just because.

Comment

Get in line, all the stuff I like has pretty much doubled in price over the last two years.

Comment

A lot of stuff has been going up. I've been wanting a Laney AOR to modify. Fall 2004 and on they were $250 - $290 and there seemed like a lot of them so I didn't rush to buy one. Now they are pushing $500 in some cases! Same with Soldano preamps, Bogner Triple Giants, etc. I don't remember stuff going up in price like this last year.

Then, there are some guitars that I watch regularly that aren't selling.

I'm hoping everyone gets tired of the stuff in six months and dumps it all for reasonable prices.

I think part of it is eBay's fault. People get on there and pay too much for stuff. I've been thinking about trying to cruise some local classifieds to find deals.

How are people's local markets? Mine seems fine for prices but it isn't a hot area for selection so that doesn't do me a lot of good.

Comment

I think it goes in cycles... today's hot gear could be tomorrow's bargain. BTW, you should see the AOR I've been modding... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Pete

Comment

Cheap stuff are out there.
                  Only when you are looking for a certain thing, they seem not to apear.
                  It happens all the time.
                  When you need them, you don't find great deals but when you don't need them, you find them cheap.

Comment

ADA MP-1s are having a resurgency... everyone trying to capture that late 80's/early 90's metal sound. I know 2 people who are looking for one at the moment. I've even seen a few at local gigs in the last year or so.

Older gear goes down in value and is forgotten... sometimes it is rediscovered and goes back up.
                    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

This happens to me ALL the time.

When I wanted an Archtop Soloist, I knew they were rare and sought after, so I got ready to pay and had no illusions of finding a bargain on one. I finally did find one, and after upgrading it with EMGs, eventually decided to sell it, thinking that would be quick and easy, as it is a rare/desirable model, with a large fan base. It wasn't quick or easy, and I had to sell it at a loss, as usual. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

My next acquisition was to be a Hamer Californian - a very cool guitar with a very small following, that hasn't fared well in terms of resale value - until I want one, of course. Now guess what? You got it - they've become rare and expensive!

I am actually to the point of giving up on this particular G.A.S. quest, and am now in the process of convincing myself that I don't really want a Cali that bad after all.

Comment

you guys in the USA should try shopping in Europe and especially the Netherlands. please shut up about prizes over there going through the roof, because the roof there is not even close to the bottom over here.

Harrald

Comment

Harrald, I do not live in the USA but have found a shipping company that especializes in importing stuff from there to my country (Colombia)... they charge me US$3/lb.

I pay a very reasonable price and I get to buy on ebay like I live in the States... well, I do have a Canadian credit card, and paypal account which helps!..

Comment

so I see. well, it was more or less directed to the complaints of the USA residents. If I see prizes of Jacksons, other high end guitars, amplifiers, cabinets etc I spontaniously start crying. depending on the item it is from 10 upto 30-40% cheaper if I use 1 USD = 1 Euro, so substract another 30%... say I'm jaleaus.

Harrald

Comment

One of the items I have been following is the now disontinued Peavey Ultra 100 Head. They were $200-300 not too ling ago, now they are bringing in $450-500, that is crazy!! They were $600 and some change new. They are a great deal, basically a Triple XXX with less gain and Reverb. Bias them hot 40-41ma per power tube and they scream!! Also put hot JJ`s in the pre-amp, except the phase inverter, put a balanced JJ there. I should have bought one when they were steals!! Lucky for me, I have the 60 watt 1x12 combo and love it. Jack.

Comment

Working...
                              X