Genz Benz El Diablo 100-Combo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Genz Benz El Diablo 100-Combo

Seriously considering purchasing one of these, but not until next month. Anyone here have one or played through one? Pros, Cons? I am going to the Dallas Guitar show in April with intentions of buying a nice high gain combo amp.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Re: Genz Benz El Diablo 100-Combo

I played through the head a half a year back (when I was amp hunting), and no matter what cab I plugged into, it sounded thin and uninspiring. It almost sounded like a solid state amp.

Comment

Played one at NAMM; also watched Mark Cameron fiddle with it and torture Genzler with questions. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Talk about the hot seat! Controls seemed really complicated.
      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I had one for 30 seconds. It blew up on me... I sent it back. The older ones have a weak link... I think it was the output tranny. They fixed the problem a long time ago so if you are looking make sure it is a newer one. Anyway. I was not impressed with the 2nd one and sent that back too. They do sound very solid state. Not worth the cash if you ask me. Get a used 5150 combo... They are heavy but they sound damn good.

Comment

I'm glad I asked. I'll be trying a few amps out next month at the Dallas Guitar Show. I intend on purchasing there, because I found you can bargain with them easily. Any other suggestions on what I could try out?

I am looking for high gain, but not to the point that it doesn't have a little versatility. Oh and preferably a combo.

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Shawn
            Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

I also played through a head about a year ago and came to the same consensus, i.e. very thin sounding. That was also going through a 2x12 Genz so you know something was up!

Comment

I'm disappointed to here the Diablos aren't so hot. They have a lot of cool features (especially the pentode/triode switch) and a reasonable price tag.

Plus I like seeing companies based in my city do well. Sounds like Phoenix is 0 for two if you guys are right.

I do wonder how the tone of these amps might change with high-quality set of pre-amp tubes, though.

Comment

I played on a 100 watt through the G Flex 2x12 and thought buzzy, in your face but, nothing impressive...Then I tried the new 60 watt head through one of the classic style Genz Benz 4x12 and that set up sounded damn nice.
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

I'm a little disappointed myself. I had heard only good things about them up to this point. I will still give them a try, nothing is better than actual experience.

Thanks again for the input guys, it's very helpful.

Comment

Yep. Let your ears make the decision. What we think don't mean shit. Go try one. You may love it. Then you can give us some good settings to try and maybe we will have a change in our own opinion.

Comment

I have played the 100w head and own the 60w 1-12 combo. The amps have so much gain and the tone controls have such a wide range that it is possible to get really bad sounds as well as really good ones.
                        Every time I played the head and combo at the store the gain and bass were maxed out which sounds bad. With this amp more is not better. If you start on the gain channel with Hot Boost and the Compresser on and all the tone controls and Tube at 12 o'clock and leave Contor off you should be able to find a good sound from there. I keep bass at 11 0'clock, mid around 10 o'clock, treble at 1 o'clock and gain at 12-2 o'clock depending on guitar. I use the Tube knob to add or cut mid depending on guitar. At 12 o'clock it is the Tube knob is flat and has no effect. I really don't like the Contor knob which is a pre-set freq mid boost.
                        The clean channel is great and is pretty much totally clean. I use a pedal for blues or plain rock sounds.
                        The 60 watt combo is LOUD even on 30 watts. On 30 watts it has less highs than full power and sounds smoother. I play it on 30 watts with my band.
                        Reverb is weak, but most people who buy the amp for high gain won't miss it. Semi dirty tones are also weak and that's why I use an OD pedal in the clean channel for them.
                        The 1-12 combo has great bass response due to the semi enclosed back.
                        I am very happy with the combo. It takes up just a little more space than most 1-12 amps, but sounds huge.
                        If you decide to get the 100w I would recomend getting the head and the GB 2-12 cab instead of the 100 watt combo. It would be much easier to move around. I also have the GB 2-12 cab and love it. Many people seem to focus on getting huge low end out of it, but maxing the bass into it sounds just as muddy as it would in any cab. Backing off the bass to a lower level lets the true sound with plenty of bass come out and it delivers a tone that I like.
                        I hope this helps!

Comment

Correction: The knob I called Contour is actually "Global Attack". Shows how much I use it!

Comment

try it out and let us know [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I'd go for the new peavey 6505 combo but it's not available until May or something...or so I heard [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

Sorry for dragging up an old post, but you nailed it RIGHT on the money.

Those controls are VERY active, and need subtle massaging.

I never push the Gain past "8 O-clock" on the "Modern" setting.

I'm not a big fan of the 50Watt setting, however.

It is loud though, however I find I need to keep the master at at least "4" for any character

I've found good sounds using a THD Hotplate set at -6 or -8.

I agree with everything you said, however I use the "Tube Contour" knob alot.. to go from the British type tone to American, it really shifts those mids around though.

My personal fav is Hot Channel on "Classic", Texture on "Compressed" Gain at "2 O-clock", Countour at "8 O-clock" Bass at "1 O-clock" Mid at "8 O-clock" Treble at "3 O-clock"

I find this gives me a nice "Extra Gain Stage Brit sound"

[ QUOTE ]
                              I have played the 100w head and own the 60w 1-12 combo. The amps have so much gain and the tone controls have such a wide range that it is possible to get really bad sounds as well as really good ones.
                              Every time I played the head and combo at the store the gain and bass were maxed out which sounds bad. With this amp more is not better. If you start on the gain channel with Hot Boost and the Compresser on and all the tone controls and Tube at 12 o'clock and leave Contor off you should be able to find a good sound from there. I keep bass at 11 0'clock, mid around 10 o'clock, treble at 1 o'clock and gain at 12-2 o'clock depending on guitar. I use the Tube knob to add or cut mid depending on guitar. At 12 o'clock it is the Tube knob is flat and has no effect. I really don't like the Contor knob which is a pre-set freq mid boost.
                              The clean channel is great and is pretty much totally clean. I use a pedal for blues or plain rock sounds.
                              The 60 watt combo is LOUD even on 30 watts. On 30 watts it has less highs than full power and sounds smoother. I play it on 30 watts with my band.
                              Reverb is weak, but most people who buy the amp for high gain won't miss it. Semi dirty tones are also weak and that's why I use an OD pedal in the clean channel for them.
                              The 1-12 combo has great bass response due to the semi enclosed back.
                              I am very happy with the combo. It takes up just a little more space than most 1-12 amps, but sounds huge.
                              If you decide to get the 100w I would recomend getting the head and the GB 2-12 cab instead of the 100 watt combo. It would be much easier to move around. I also have the GB 2-12 cab and love it. Many people seem to focus on getting huge low end out of it, but maxing the bass into it sounds just as muddy as it would in any cab. Backing off the bass to a lower level lets the true sound with plenty of bass come out and it delivers a tone that I like.
                              I hope this helps!

[/ QUOTE ]

Comment

Working...
                              X