Watch for Phat Tone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watch for Phat Tone

I lamented in the Genz Benz thread that my hometown, Phoenix, seems to be o for 2 for amp manufacturers. So I have some high hopes for a new brand being made here.

Phat Tone is a one-man shop so far, and I saw one at Ye Auld Repair Shop. It's an 18-watt handmade combo (but will also be available as a head) with point-to-point wiring. According to the guys who own the shop, Channel One is supposed to be like an older Plexi, while Channel Two sounds like a JCM 800. The price should also be fairly reasonable. I didn't get a chance to play it, but I'll update if I do.

No Web site or links yet.

Re: Watch for Phat Tone

I will give 1 strike against them right off the bat.
    The name. What players who like the Plexi and JCM800 tone would also want the name Phat on their amps? Not me.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      I will give 1 strike against them right off the bat.
      The name. What players who like the Plexi and JCM800 tone would also want the name Phat on their amps? Not me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't disagree with you there. It's gonna be pretty dated in a few years, plus it sounds way too hip-hoppy for me...unless, of course, they want to coat it in bling for a little humor!

That said, if the tone kicks butt and the price is right, I'll live with the name. If I can deal with the name Crate on my cabinet, I can definitely live with Phat Tone! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Not me. The name stinks. Maybe they should put a docking station on the top of the amp for turntables.
        I also think that Fender made a big mistake with their new "metal" amps name. Even Krank is a crap name. If Dimebag was alive they would have sold a ton of them because of his endorsement.
        Another example is that Dweezel Zappa amp. Stupid name, stupid looking amp and who knows... it might have sounded fantastic but you would never see me with one of those onstage.

Comment

whats the price?, retail cost: "heavy cabbage, major bling-bling and a few c-notes."
          Promo: "This amp just goes hella dumb."

Comment

You keep saying Phoenix is 0 for 2 on amps. Genz Benz is one, who's the other?
            Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

I wouldn't even TRY it, just because of the name. Doesn't appeal to me in the least. I don't mind having Crate on my amp at all.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                You keep saying Phoenix is 0 for 2 on amps. Genz Benz is one, who's the other?

[/ QUOTE ]

Krank. I actually think there may be one other...

Comment

I don't really care for the name but if it sound great it doesn't really matter to me. I really doubt it will be price friendly as PTP hand-wired is labor intense work [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                  shawnlutz.com

Comment

You could always use duct tape, or just remove a few letters. P-tone or hat tone..or just remove the badge all together..problem solved.

Comment

Pee Tone

hee hee hee hee
                      huh huh huh huh
                      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        Another example is that Dweezel Zappa amp. Stupid name, stupid looking amp and who knows... it might have sounded fantastic

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally, I thought the Wiggy looked pretty interesting. Dweezil is one of my fave guitarists, and every store in town had one right after they came out, so I checked it out. Turned out to be a single-channel, solid-state piece of poo. Flimsy matching cabs only had two speakers. Good for clean tones (as a lot of SS amps are), but there was almost no gain to speak of. Powerful but useless graphic EQ could actually push the amp beyond the frequencies that a guitar amp is supposed to produce, which caused weird "ghost audio" in its extreme settings.
                        please don't put it into words, 'cause I fear what you're thinking

Comment

I am sure Dweezil used that piece of crap. I too thought it looked interesting but not in a good way. It looked like the dashboard of a 61 Chevy Corvair.

Comment

Working...
                          X