Tube Works Mosvalve 962

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tube Works Mosvalve 962

I know they have something to do with GenzBenz... But I have never heard any of their stuff. Are they any good? I am specifiaclly looking at a Mosvalve Tube Works 962.

Thanks for any input you may have.

Re: Tube Works Mosvalve 962

I own two. Made by BK Butler who also made the Chandler tube driver w/ Paul Chandler if I'm not mistaken. 80w/side stereo, but I believe not a true bridgeable mono. (if you plug into channel 'A' alone, the input is bridged with a mono output-not the same as bridgeable mono tho I believe)
    Vol-'gain'/Presence for each channel on the front.
    Tube works developed a mosfet circuit that was supposed to emulate the voicing of a tubed amps output section, the harder you drive it, the more it colored the sound I believe was the theory

I find they are a decent low buck power amp.
    Quite reliable, I've not had any problems and loud.
    However, in being objective...I once read a review where a guy used one for 10+ years and never realized how much the mosfet circuit in these colored the sound of his preamp that when he switched to a 'true' power amp with a pure voice and minimal distortion, he tossed the Mosvalve out the door. Some guys love em tho.. I don't mind mine.
    I picked mine up cheap.. less than a 100 apiece I believe.

Tube works makes an actual tubed model as well.. the model# RT-4250..I didn't know they had anything to do with Genz Benz tho.

Comment

Thanks for the info. Now I am really confused [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] I was watching one on the bay.... looks like it will probably go for around 250.00 maybe not such a good deal, eh? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Unless of course you got the superb deal - hehe. Is there a way to describe how the mosfet circuit colors the sound?

Thanks

Comment

I have tried them and I do like the sound.. nice and warm... I have seriously considered buying one a few times just because they are sooo cheap... that being said, now that I have a Mesa 20/20 I wouldn't even look at one.

Comment

I wouldn't pay more than $150-180 for one.

Comment

That makes sense. Maybe I should really entertain the 20/20. Everyone seems to really like it.

Comment

[email protected]

Comment

naw.. 250.00 seems pricey, is that the reserve or asking price? You can buy a regular power amp brand new from like musicians friend for about that. I seem to recall NADY had some 100watt or 150 watter for 199.00 online some moons ago...at least I think it was a Nady.

I really do not mind the sound of these at all. For the money, (100.00 shipped to me and the other wasn't much more) they are a decent reliable SS amp... 'but' they are not tube. To me, this mosfet is a predecessor to the current modeling amp circuits, and with that, the same problem happens on these as other SS 'model' amps where it almost seems to gate the signal once it dies off to certain db. The sustain just seems to noticeably fizzle off at the end of the note and it just doesn't sound like a natural decay. I'm not sure how it works in design technically, but my Peavey tubed Classic doesn't seem to do this.

Comment

I used one for years. They do color the sound, but - IMO - in a very musically pleasing sort of way. Not exactly like a tube amp, but more similar than any other SS power amp I've heard.

That's a little high on price, though - I sold mine for $150.
                  Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

Huh... I thought it was tube - Duh. Thanks for the info guys. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Tom, Genz-Benz bought Tubeworks a few years ago.

My buddy Clyde uses a GSP 2101 into a Mosvalve 962 and 2 peavey 412s and gets great results with that setup. He goes for more of a classic hard rock sound, and that rig works very well for that style.
                      Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Thanks, I did not know Genz Benz bought out Tube Works.
                        They were there back in the late 90's and that was about the last I heard or seen of their stuff.

Comment

Working...
                        X