Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fender? MH-500? Amp all about the Metal ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender? MH-500? Amp all about the Metal ?

WTF?Anyone hear this thing yet?550 watts @ 2 OHM and 400 watts @ 4 OHM.All the solid-state power you will ever need for under 800 bucks
    www.myspace.com/goreality1

Re: Fender? MH-500? Amp all about the Metal ?

2 ohms? I thought only bass amps ran at 2 ohms.

Comment

Yeah but it won't be any louder than a 100 watt amp running at 16 or 8, cna't remember, it's basically another mode four, all about volume, and not about sound.

Ozz

Comment

Wait a minute, less ohmage means more power. 16 ohms is actually much less than 2 ohms. That's really high for a guitar amp. There are no other cabs you could match up to make 2 ohms, you'd have to use what came with it. Granted, you could hook up some 4 ohm speakers to a 2ohm setup and be okay, but still. Holy Shat, that's pretty high for a guitar amp.

Comment

The path of least resistance=more power.
          The higher the number of ohms=greater the resistance.
          I'm not an electrical engineer or anything as some guys could really get into this.
          16 ohms is a higher value of speaker impedence and the power delivered to the speakers would be less than a 4 ohm load. 2 ohm loads are generally not calculated for guitar because if the amplifiers total loudspeaker impedance is too low, the power delivered to the loudspeakers will be increased, which can result in speaker overload and damage to the amplifier.

Comment

Marketing

so its probably more like between 200-300 watts with standard cab impedance. (8 & 16)
            Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              The path of least resistance=more power.
              The higher the number of ohms=greater the resistance.
              I'm not an electrical engineer or anything as some guys could really get into this.
              16 ohms is a higher value of speaker impedence and the power delivered to the speakers would be less than a 4 ohm load. 2 ohm loads are generally not calculated for guitar because if the amplifiers total loudspeaker impedance is too low, the power delivered to the loudspeakers will be increased, which can result in speaker overload and damage to the amplifier.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really all the more technical you need get on this.

[ QUOTE ]
              marketing

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup. Nobody else makes speakers (for guitar) that can handle 2 ohms. Kind of a dumb thing to do if you ask me, it seems like if you buy that head you've totally eliminated a lot of possiblities. I wouldn't trust any Fender cab to put out a metal sound. I like Fenders for playing clean, but anything past that I wouldn't consider.

Comment

The Mode Four is a piece of junk. I saw a band where one guitarist was using a Mode Four and the other one was using a BOSS ME-50 + Marshall MG100HDFX. The guy running the BOSS pedal had awesome tone in comparison to the grainy / crappy sounding Mode Four. Yuck!

As crazy as it sounds, some people honestly believe that louder = better tone.

Comment

Well the cabs for this head contain 4-100watt celestions @ 4 ohms. So two of these cabs as in a stack =2 ohms. First I've heard of a guitar amp running at 2 ohms.
                  Actually these cabs by themselves are friggin cool on the surface.

Fender has been making amp designs that Marshall and others emulated. Sure they have put out a few lemons but I'd be interested in at least hearing this before I'd dismiss it even though I'm not a fan of anything over 120watts..yeah, I like my hearing.

Comment

**** Nobody else makes speakers (for guitar) that can handle 2 ohms.*****

There is a misunderstanding of how things work here. Speakers don't need to "handle 2 ohms". The speakers are the ohms! The way it works is that the load (the speakers in this case) determine current draw(the load draws current, the current source doesn't "push" current out). Using ohms law you can get watts from these two figures (current squared X ohms=watts). Remember the current drawn is a direct result of the ohms of the load. As the load halfs, current draw is doubled therefore getting you "double the power" Now what happens in the real world with this "law" is that it is limited to the amplifier design. A very high quality amp (such as a high end Krell stereo amp) will "double down". If you run the numbers this means that as the load decreases the wattage output increases. For a particular amp say 16 ohm load gives 50 watts. This means that an 8 ohm load will give 100, 4 ohm 200 watts and 2 ohm will net you 400. Now in the case of guitar amps and almost every amp that is not a super high end audio amp there is a current limit due to power supply limitations and in some case blatant poor PS design and cost cutting. What happens then is that when the power supply reaches its current output limit you will not get any more current from it even though the load is trying to draw more (can't get blood from a stone). Most amps I have seen seem to top out at around 3 to 4 ohms (like this Fender and this is why it is only a little more power at 2 ohms than at 4). This is also why putting a 2 ohm load on an amp that has a min load of 4 ohm overheats and shuts down the amp. The lower ohm load is drawing more current than the power supply/output section can supply, therefore over heats. Like I said earlier, it is usually due to insufficiant power supply design coupled with/or insufficiant heat sinking on the out put devices. I hope this helps and didn't confuse the crap out of everyone. Note, this is a simplified version and many factors can come into play, but this is the basic explination. This is also for SS amps with out output transformers and don't apply to tube amps with output transformes. So since we know this Fender doesn't "double down" to 2 ohms, it most like does "double down" to 4 ohms, meaning it will most likely put out 400 watts at 4 ohms, 200 watts at 8 ohms and 100 watts at 16 ohms.

Comment

Fender put out a heck of alot of great amps. The Rocpro 700 and 1000 were bashed when they first came out and we all know they are great amps. I am interested in hearing from somebody who actually played one of the MH amps. Fender is a pretty slick company so you never know!

Comment

My Crate Excalibur head is safe at 2 ohms.
                        I don't run it at 2, just usually 8 or 4, depending on what cabs i hook up.
                        The MH-500 looks metal. \m/ [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                        I'd like to hear it, see for myself what it sounds like.
                        There are both tube and SS amps that suck. I dig my Crate, most people dismiss it as junk. Just one of those personal things.
                        I also like tubes.
                        I'm easy. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          I am interested in hearing from somebody who actually played one of the MH amps. Fender is a pretty slick company so you never know!

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I played one in the Jackson room at NAMM, but only for a couple minutes. I'm no amp tone expert though....heh heh. I dimed the gain and it seemed to have some balls...a little thin-sounding IIRC, kinda like a Pantera tone.
                          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Find a Fender M-80 they ROCK!

Comment

grey fuzzies kicked ass!!!!
                              Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Working...
                              X