Anyone build a DIY tube amp/

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone build a DIY tube amp/

I've been looking at the AX84 project (http://www.ax84.com) off and on for the last year. I think I'm going to test the waters with the P1 project. I haven't broken out the Mouser catalog yet, so I don't know what the cost is going to run for parts...but, hey, might be an interesting learning experience. Anyone else do this?

Re: Anyone build a DIY tube amp/

I'm building a Hi Octane Head from the site. It's based on a build from www.silvatone.bravepages.com/ The chassis was from the www.komboking.worldbreak.com/custom.html page $35.00 plus shipping. Mouser stuff was aroung $75.00. + S/H. Groove tubes around $55.00 + S/H. Turret board, tools, wires and knobs from www.hoffmanamps.com around $75.00 + S/H. and 18watt Head kit in black tolex from www.reasonamps.com on sale last month for $99.00 + S/H. Lastly the Output transformer is from www.mercurymagnetics.com $60.00 + S/H and Hammond Power Transformer from Angela Instruments at www.angela.com/ for I think aroung $25.00 +S/H. Total abot $425.00 + S/H. Good Luck and do your homework.

Comment

Very cool. I looked at the HO and the P1 Extreme. What I'd really like is the P1 (or extreme) with a headphone out. And a reverb. But...baby steps. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I figured the OT/PT would be the pricey parts...forgot about the tubes. [img]/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img] Those Reason: cabs look sweet!

Do you have any pics of your project so far? What kind of experience/background did you have going in to it? Have you electrocuted yourself yet? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Just kidding about that last one.

Comment

I will have pics later. I just finished the Turret board and Soldered in all the Capacitors and resistor. I intend to take step by step pics of the project. I'm still waiting on the Transformers. They are due in this week. I studied some Electronic physics in College and I'm looking over the ax84 and www.18watt.com/ websites. They have good overviews and reference materials of what is involved (as you probably know the P1 build walkthrough at the ax84 site). No I haven't fried myself yet. But, you better believe I won't be trouble shooting the head until I feel comfortable with what I have learned. If you want to save money on the OT and PT get a Hammond 125E and 269EX.You can get both the OT and PT from Angela Instruments for about $25.00 each. Let me know how it goes. I can email you pics later. And yes the Reason Amps Heads are sweet. Anthony does quality work.

Comment

I build and repair amps here in my area. The AX84 stuff is nice to start on (for what you get, it sounds pretty good). I built a P1 for my son and used a EL34 as a power tube and used a 5Y3 rectifier in it. I would use the houseofjim,com layout for the boards.

Always remember, when building a tube amp, it can generate upto 450 volts or so with enough current to severly kill you. DIY projects for tube amps are not the same as DIY mods for a guitar (whats the fun in trying something you found on the Internet and getting killed in the process??).

Anyone who has built a number of amps has 'close call' stories.

The AX84 P1 and the Hi-octane are two great first project amps that will work for you, and are as simple as the process gets. Chris at AX84.com offers kits with all of the parts for a reasonable price to build a complete chassis (you need speaker and case). But, its more fun to spec all of the parts out yourself, then its truely 'your build'.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            with enough current to severly kill you.

[/ QUOTE ]

As opposed to slightly kill you? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
              Are YOU a Jackson Warrior? Join us and be all that you can be!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
                [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

well, who wants to be a little bit dead?
                  Hail yesterday

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    well, who wants to be a little bit dead?

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that like being a little bit pregnant? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks for the replies. I do have some experience with electronics, but that's primarily from my ham radio hobby...which can also be dangerous in it's own exciting way (RF burns, voltages, etc.). [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

It's nice to know that there's an amp tech on the board, as well as others who are doing/have done this.

Comment

Sounds like a fun project, Cruster! Be careful though, wouldn't want to see ya turn into "Crusty"!

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

So sorry, I just couldn't resisit. [img]/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]
                      Actually, I'd be interested in hearing how you come along in your project.

Cheers,
                      Em

Comment

LOL.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the first thing that came to my mind Ron. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                          Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

I'm (slowly, but surely) working on a firefly (rev. 3) (~1 - 1.5 watts, with a 12AU7 for the ouput stage) build; just for fun. ~ 1/2 way through the bulk of the soldering right now, anticipating plenty of headaches and tweaking once I get around to soldering in the trannies and the 'fun-with-hum' stage [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Haven't heard of the firefly...links?

Comment

Working...
                              X