M-Audio Black Box. Opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M-Audio Black Box. Opinions?

As a lone basement jammer, I'm always looking for tools that can act as my backup band. Anyone know anything about the new M-Audio Black Box, which sells for about $250-280 and offers amp/effects modeling and drum patterns to jam to? I'm most interested in knowing what the amp models sound like, and whether it has bass patterns with the drums.

I have a Korg Pandora PX-4, which is very nice, and does have bass/drum patterns to jam with, but I'd like something with heavier guitar sounds. I'm alternatively thinking about a Digitech GNX4, though I'm waiting to see what the GNX2000 (to be released in March) is like.

Thanks!

Re: M-Audio Black Box. Opinions?

Have you watched the NAMM video of it on the Harmony Central site? I did and thought it looked pretty cool.
    RR24M -SLATQH- 2 SLSMG's- DKMGT- 3DXMGT's
    CHS2 -Traditional- 2 SC90 Surfcasters
    Tacoma DR14 DM14 JR55
    Ibanez Artcore AM77, AF125NT,AS93

Comment

I have not used the maudio. Look at the Adrenalinn 2. Sounds really good and has a great drum machine built in. < $300 new on ebay. I have been debating about getting one to replace my PX4.

Ok, while I was writing this post I went out and checked the web on the black box. The maudio and the adrenalinn 2 use the same models and effect [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. You should go to http://www.rogerlinndesign.com/products/blackbox.shtml and check out the differences.

Comment

Cool, thanks for the info. I thought the Adrenalinn was focused on producing weird effects (shows what I know) [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. I did watch a video on the M-Audio site (don't know if it's the same one or not), but the one I saw didn't show any of the sounds of the Black Box. Does anyone know if either of these devices has bass patterns built in, too, like the Pandora has? I really like that to jam with - I'd just like some new/better sounds (particularly metal amp sounds).

Comment

Wow, I just found and viewed the video you referenced. It looks great! Thanks for pointing that out! Much better than the video I had found on the M-Audio site. It looks like it works with a Mac, too! I do believe I'm getting one of these. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Glad you found it. If you get one please post a review of it. It looks like it is pretty versatile & fairly simple to use.
            Tacoma DR14 DM14 JR55

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Wow, I just found and viewed the video you referenced. It looks great! Thanks for pointing that out!

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? Where? (I wanna watch it, too!)

Keith
              The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

Keith go to the Harmony Central home page and at the top there is winter NAMM coverage link. Click on it. Then click on the all videos link. Then find the M-Audio Black box video. I think it is about 14 min. long. Excuse my computer illeteracy I did not know how to just get the link for you. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                Tacoma DR14 DM14 JR55

Comment

Thanks, that did it! I just couldn't see that dang 'namm' link before, and my googles weren't working out...
                  Thanks!
                  Keith
                  The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

Looks like they're not available quite yet. No place I've checked has 'em in stock. So now we play - the waiting game.

Ah, the waiting game sucks! Let's play Hungry Hungry Hippos! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I need to look at hte black box closer, but from what little I have read if you don't need a recording interface the Adrenalinn has more to offer and more control over the "stuff" inside.

Comment

I think you're right, Hammer. The Adrenalinn II looks like a better built unit (all metal box, etc.).

The advantages of the Black Box are that it appears to be set up to work with a Mac over USB, with the capability to add different drum patterns, etc., from an included CD, and it appears to be aimed at more of your meat & potatoes metalhead, while the Adrenalinn II appears aimed more at the avant garde, Bowie/Fripp types.

Comment

Working...
                        X