Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ashdown/Cheap Peavey/Cheap Laney/Marshall used...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ashdown/Cheap Peavey/Cheap Laney/Marshall used...

For an amp I have a Peavey envoy 40 watts. It's good, it gets me what I need but it's not amazing.

I'd like to know what you think about it. For the amp, I want an Ashdown Fallen angel 60 http://www.ashdownmusic.com/guitar/detail.asp?ID=92

Also, Laney makes the TX3 which is quite cheap, and the Peavey Supreme XL... Could they be of any interest with a decent cab?
    My budget won't stretch for a brand new all tube Marshall... Basically anything under 600 pounds (British)could be attainable. I'm willing to wait to get a cab later. I just want basic thoughts on this.

Re: Ashdown/Cheap Peavey/Cheap Laney/Marshall used...

I would go with an all tube amp, but depending on what style of music might depend on what amp you want.

Comment

I would go with a tube amp as well, if at all possible. If not, the Peavey XXL is, IMO at least, better than alot of tubes amp out there.

What kind of music do you play, and are you looking to go used or new? A little more info would help.

Comment

I picked up a Laney AOR 100 for $200 and spent another $100 on new output tubes (Svetlanas). I spent a little more on some New Old Stock tubes, and the thing screams.

Comment

I'm looking for a thick overdriven sound, quite like Zakk Wylde's. Not HIS sound, just something that could give me something similar. He uses an all tube JCM800 right?
          And about the XXL... I just had a look and it seems very nice. But right now I have a 40 watts SS amp and maybe it wouldn't be wise from me to stay with SS, especially for the sound I want... I don't really know though. I'll put it on my list :P
          Also Marshall makes the TSL601 and DSL401 combos. Would they give me what I want you think?

Comment

Sorry for double post but I can't edit my post anymore... How are the AVT series? (and no I don't have the possibility to try much soon [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] ) Marshall AVT 150 or 50 head, and the 100 or 150 combos are cheaper than the other stuff.

Comment

I was in a band with a dude that played through a Marshall AVT 100 combo (and later with a cab). Honestly, it sounded terrible. Buzzsaw distortion, absolutely no warmth what-so-ever. It couldn't cut through the mix at any of the clubs we played at so basically he might as well have been playing air guitar. The sad thing was that I offered to let him use my Triple XXX (at that time I owned one and the other guitar player in the band also had one, I played bass) but because he was too much of a Marshall snob / assclown he refused. I quit the band about 4 or 5 months ago and I've seen them perform 3 times at different venues and the only time I ever heard him was when he was sound checking (and I was standing right in front of him for one of the gigs). Only redeeming factor is that the cleans are reasonably decent.

Comment

A used Peavey Triple XXX would be a good one or a used Peavey Ultra Plus, the Triple XXX haveing a tad more gain, but the Ultra having Reverb. I have a nice Peavey Ultra 60 watt 1x12 and it screams, especially after Bob at Eurotubes hooked me up!! Jack.

Comment

Would it fall under my budget? I heard them, they go friggin' HEAVY... Are they Valve or SS though? But I'll see if I can either find a used XXX or a used JCM800.

Comment

Working...
                  X