Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help w/ My New Rig

What's up all,

I'm finally decided on my new rig, but I have some questions. I tried the advice of many here and played with the Vetta for awhile, but I can't sit there and mess with that many options and buttons. I'm not finding the tones and voicings that I want in this amp, but a cple hours of messing with it can't tell me much from what I hear. Patience is a virtue I guess I don't possess. I'm not gonna use nearly all of those things and would be a waste anyway. Well, here's what I've decided on:

Furman Power Conditioner
    Tech 21 PSA-1
    Korg DTR1000
    BBE Sonic Maximizer
    T.C. Electronic G Major
    Some sort of parametric EQ
    Rocktron Hush
    Power amp (QSC or Tech 21)

Questions I have are on the EQ & Sonic Maximizer mainly. I've heard of the Furman PQ units, but are there any other parametric EQ's out there that are currently in production worth buying? And the Sonic Maximizer, which model would be best suited for me? I've read the differences, but dunno jack about balanced jacks, and if I need that or not. Haven't had much experience with power amps, which color the tone which way and not, but I've heard QSC makes some really good ones. Anyone know anything about em? Was looking at the PLX series, looks light, low distortion and runs cool.

Any help at all would be appreciated. I've played a few amps and wanna try this preamp. There's a lotta cool things that rack units offer, so wanted to go that route this time. Between effect units, harmonizers, different preamps and power amp combinations, it looks like I'll have fun with this setup. Any advice on gear would be cool too, I'm open to pretty much anything. Thanks guys.

- Irf -

Re: Help w/ My New Rig

My advice would be to start simple and then add on as needed. I am not sure how many channel / sounds you need. I ran a big rack system years ago, and found that a good channel switching head with some effect ( although not as versatile as a rack system) sounded better. If you decide to go with the rack, I suggest a good preamp with a nice tube power amp, then an effects processor. From there you can decide if you need a BBE / EQ. Hope this helps.

Comment

I actually ran the numbers and saw how much I would need for all that and laughed out loud. I will end up buying the PSA-1 and power amp first as you suggested. I went with the PSA-1 because of the versitility and the insane amount of tones I can dial from it, which is what I prefer to a couple of heads that can get all the tones I'll ever want to experiment with at this time. I really don't want a big complicated rack system either, but those items I listed seemed to be the things I'd find the most useful. Best take it one at a time though. Thanks dude. Any advice on power amps and EQ's? The EQ I'm buying regardless to run through my other amp, so any info would be cool. Thanks.

- Irf -

Comment

For power amps, if money is no issue, I would recommend VHT. But if your on a budget, I have had great success with a Peavey Classic 50/50 and a Carvin Tube 100. Both can be picked up cheaply used.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          For power amps, if money is no issue, I would recommend VHT. But if your on a budget, I have had great success with a Peavey Classic 50/50 and a Carvin Tube 100. Both can be picked up cheaply used.

[/ QUOTE ]

+1

Comment

Cool, thanks guys. Since I'm not gonna buy all that crap at once, I'll spend a little money and get something good. Never looked into the VHT stuff before much, but I'll check it out. Thanks again

Comment

VHT is the last word in guitar power amps. After playing my 2150 for a few years, every other power amp I touch just feels weak and inadequate. Used you can pick up a VHT power amp for not TOO much money.

Comment

If you get a PSA-1 and a VHT, you truly don't need a BBE for sure, I'd even wonder somewhat about needing an EQ really as the PSA-1 is quite versatile tonally.

Comment

Thanks for all your help guys. I might have less time to think about this as I'm probably joining a new band and need something nice to jam/gig with. VHT is the first thing I gotta pick up, didn't realize it was that much. Ya'll are good peoples, ya hear, lol. Thanks a bunch.

Comment

Joel did have a VHT for sale a while ago-you might check it

Comment

As for the Vetta, what would be the possibilities of trying a different amp, like the Flextone or something? I've never touched a Line6 (give me a break, I live in Idaho!), so I don't know how either sounds, but if you only need a few options however still remaining flexible, perhaps trying a simpler model of the same brand will help.

Comment

I've owned (and still own) a few modeling amps and don't like any of em that much. The Spider II has been one of my favorites, but I've grown out of that amp. I can't find "my" tone from it. They are good for what they do, but they're not for me

Comment

Working...
                        X