Tech 21 Double Drive Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tech 21 Double Drive Review

I just got one and let me fill you in on what this thing is.
    It is basically a totally analog preamp/distortion pedal that is set up to mimic an overdriven Class A type gain and an overdriven Class A/B type gain. Let me give it to you in simple terms:
    If you keep the Class A and Class A/B levels at 0 and you only use the volume and the tone it is essentially a perfectly clean boost.
    Class A sounds to me like an MXR+
    Class A/B sounds to me like a YJM308
    You have the option of using both and blending them.
    If you are using a clean channel and the Class A/B control you will get anything from crystal clean to an AC/DC type crunch and anything in between.
    If you are using a clean channel and the Class A control you can get anything from crystal clean to Cream to old Black Sabbath.
    Where this pedal really shines is in front of a tube amp that needs more gain. Especially if you don't want to color the sound.
    Example:
    I took my Carvin MTS3200 and dialed the gain down to around 6. At this setting it is very similar to a JCM800 2204 with the gain maxed out. We can all agree that this is not enough gain for most of us metal heads and certainly not enough for shredding solo's. I put the Tech 21 Double Drive in front of my Carvin and I used the Class A/B control and I dialed it up until I had the perfect amount of gain. The tone of my amp didn't change at all. Only the amount of gain. My settings on the Double Drive were:
    Level-- to your own taste
    Tone--10
    Class A/B--6
    Class A--0
    I also tried the Class A control instead of the Class A/B and I was able to nail the early Sabbath tone.
    Bottom line is that this pedal works best with an already overdriven signal. If you have a good heavy tone but you need more gain this pedal will do it. If you have a nu-metal sounding amp and you want it to sound more vintage this pedal will do that too. The Tech 21 Double Drive is another slick product from Tech 21.

Re: Tech 21 Double Drive Review

Cool! I actually was wondering about that one. I've got a Sans Amp Tri-AC pedal and love that thing; it does great Fender, Marshall and Mesa sonds. Tech 21 makes a great product.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
    X