Gt8 or xt live?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gt8 or xt live?

I´m thinking about getting one of those, which one is the better.
    I will use it mostly for practising with headphones at home, and for effects at gigs/rehersal.
    At the moment i just have a extremley crappy kustom ss kombo (which i hate) but i´m gonna get a "real" amp soon.
    I also have a v-amp2, but it sounds kinda buzzy and the effects are not very good (that´s why i wanna upgrade to something better).

Re: Gt8 or xt live?

I have no experience with & thus can't comment on the GT8, but having had the V-Amp Pro and a Pod XT Live, the XT Live is a big step up.

Your amp simply has to provide clean amplification for your modeler, so I wouldn't worry about getting a "real" amp that colors your sound with its signature tones. In fact, I'm seriously thinking of moving away from an amp altogether and into a couple of powered PA cabs for my XT Live, as it sounds better through my $150 Klipsch 2.1 computer speakers than it does through my $700+ Marshall 4x12 setup.

Comment

I had a GT6 that I thought was just as good as the POD XT. Especially for live use. The GT8 has the added feature of amp stacking plus many more added features. Both are great choices. You really need to try both.

Comment

John is right both are top quality units but it will be up to your ears which one you like better and which one fits your needs
        I keep the bible in a pool of blood
        So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

After hearing the Satch clips of Pete's XT Live, I wouldn't consider anything else if I were looking for multi-unit/Modeler
          shawnlutz.com

Comment

I just got rid of an PODxt Live. I thought it sounded very good, especially with some of Pete's Vetta presets that I tweaked to work with the xt Live. If you are just using it at home, it's tough to beat.

However, if you are going to use one to gig on a regular basis you might want to look elsewhere. I don't think that these things are very durable. There is a fair amount of cheap plastic on it that will not hold up under heavy use.

Get a used PODxt and short board. The short board has all metal footswitches. JMO, though.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Get a used PODxt and short board. The short board has all metal footswitches. JMO, though

[/ QUOTE ]

+1, I use a pod xt and a FVB for smaller gigs and as a backup for my Vetta. Works great and has the benfit of balanced outputs over the xt live. It will cost you a little more that the xt live but worth it, IMHO.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                I have no experience with & thus can't comment on the GT8, but having had the V-Amp Pro and a Pod XT Live, the XT Live is a big step up.

Your amp simply has to provide clean amplification for your modeler, so I wouldn't worry about getting a "real" amp that colors your sound with its signature tones. In fact, I'm seriously thinking of moving away from an amp altogether and into a couple of powered PA cabs for my XT Live, as it sounds better through my $150 Klipsch 2.1 computer speakers than it does through my $700+ Marshall 4x12 setup.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually meant that with the real amp i would just use it for the effects, not the amp simulation.
                I know i could just get a power amp and speakers, but i think that i want a tube head.

Comment

you could always get a tube power amp.

i've been running my xt live through the fx return of my tube head with great results. i turn he pres and rev off and just use the master volume.

its been great. and my tone has never been more consitant night after night. (diff vol levels on the tube head always made it sound different at different venues depending on how loud the sound guy would let you turn up.)
                  Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

yea maybe worth it to look into, thank´s for the suggestion [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                    How good do you think it would sound compared to, say a jcm 800 or engl thunder which i´m looking at maybe purchasing?

Comment

well now you're talking real deal verses modeling.

xt live - $400 - almost as close to the real thing without being the real thing as you can get at this point in time + effects and multiple amps.

vetta II - $1000+ - as close to the real thing without being the real thing as you can get at this point in time + effects and amp layering and mulitple amps.

the real thing - $1000+ - the real thing without effects.
                      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Working...
                      X