Maybe I'm Crazy - AVT Marshall Live

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybe I'm Crazy - AVT Marshall Live

I've been back and forth live with the band with an AVT150 head/1936 cabinet and a Mesa F50 combo testing both out. We are a bunch of old guys doing classic rock.

After multiple rehearsals, the Marshall - with the non-tube power stage- is hands down a better sounding amp than the Mesa- the whole band agrees. I know most here don't like the Marshalls, but my ears don't lie.
    Anyone else like these AVT's? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Re: Maybe I\'m Crazy - AVT Marshall Live

I experimented with the AVT 50 and thought it sounded good, but I opted for a DSL 401 combo which I liked better. I know most here don't like the DSL 401, but I do. For $600 new I thought it was a good deal compared to what I would've spent for a "better" sounding new amp. Then again, I haven't heard a wide variety good amps.

Comment

I liked them when I first heard them in the store but, after playing a couple shows with this band who's guitarist used the (ATV 150) I found the louder he played the more he scrambled to tweak his amp, back and forth the whole set with this pissed off look.

He would just sound horrible and nothing he did would help. I heard him play through a couple different cabs but, it always sounded thin and buzzy.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

My brother's guitarist uses an AVT150 halfstack and it sounds amazing live. Tubes ain't everything, but to each his own

Comment

I had the AVT 50, and I just didn't care for it. It sounded thin and lifeless to me. It could have just been the one I had, it happens. All that matters is that it sounds good, no matter the name on it.

Comment

The avt50 i used to have also sounded very weak and thin. No power behind it at all, so i changed it for a JCM 900. Now i'm happy [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I always thought the tone of the avt's was very 'fizzy' sounding, didn't give enough definition to the notes. I never turned the gain right up either so it couldn't of been me pushing the gain too much.

But if you're happy with it, then glad to here it [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
            93 USA Soloist EDS
            USA HT6 Juggernaut
            Charvel DK24FR

Comment

I like the AVT20 for playing at home but the larger AVT amps just don't work for me,too thin!!

Comment

To get the Mesa to sound great you have to crank it, to get the AVT to sound good you have to keep it low, once you crank that AVT the true solid state will start to show threw. Yes they are great for bedroom practice or if you are gonna keep the volume low and mic them.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  To get the Mesa to sound great you have to crank it, to get the AVT to sound good you have to keep it low, once you crank that AVT the true solid state will start to show threw. Yes they are great for bedroom practice or if you are gonna keep the volume low and mic them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly.
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

you either like the mesa tone or you dont and if you dont then a marshall avt probablly would sound better to you because it sounds like a marshall. i have a avt 50 and it is a little on the fizzy side but it still sounds pretty good.

Comment

Working...
                    X