Vetta Cab Recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vetta Cab Recommendations?

I need a 2x12 for the Vetta that I am about to buy. G-flex, Line 6, Bogner? Other?

Re: Vetta Cab Recommendations?

Welcome back to the Vetta family! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] If you want to get the most out of the amp (be able to use the cab emulations as the amp was designed) then get the Line 6 cab. Otherwise it will likely sound it's best with the emulations turned off - in that case, I don't think you could go wrong with either the Bogner or the G-Flex.

Pete

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      Welcome back to the Vetta family! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

After using a bunch of other stuff at church, I realize how good the Vetta sounds. Now, if only they could do something to make those DIs sound as good as the amp sounds thru a cab. Have you tried those Armin mods?

Pete, have you heard a Vetta HD thru a Vetta 2x12? I was just curious how it sounded because the 2x12 is open back, correct? I had the open back Vetta combo a coupla years ago and I definitely liked the HD thru a G-flex much more. I should note that I did not have your presets on the combo and I didn't know squat about dialing in at that time.

Comment

I wanted the line 6 speakers for modeling with a good closed back cab. So I'm using the G-flexs with Celestion g12H80 speakers in them. They are very similar to the Celestion speakers used by line 6 and in the closed back cab they have some more pop. They don't 'rumble' as much as the stock speakers.

Comment

i've been using the cab emulations on, but using the emulation of the cab that its running trough.

i've got presets of the same setup with all the different 4x12 cabs so when i borrow another bands cab (cause i'm lazy and don't like to haul gear) i just pull up the preset of that particular cab and so far i've had good results.

i've used it with the cab sim off, and it was actually louder and cut better with the cab sim on and set for that type of cab.

weird huh?
          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            I need a 2x12 for the Vetta that I am about to buy. G-flex, Line 6, Bogner? Other?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey if you are looking for a line 6 cab i have one of the older 2x12 flextones little beat but not to bad but sounds great. Never been gigged, just to a few practices where my jeep back seat kinda messed up some of the tolex on the front. I Just want to get it out of my apartment so i will part with it for $125 and i am right in alexandria VA. Let me know.

Todd

Comment

I foolishly sold my Vetta II a while back. Recently I had the opportunity to score a buddies Vetta rig for a killer price so I'm happy again.

I did a bunch of A/B tests with various cabs, guitars, and amp models. I used a Strat, Tele, and several humbucker guitars. For amp models I stuck with basic tones and presets just so I could hear the difference of the cabinets - clean Fender tones, basic Marshalls, etc.

The cabs:
              <ul type="square">[*]Line 6 2x12 closed back[*]a pair of Carvin open back 1x12 cabs - one has a Vintage 30, the other has a Weber Blue Dog[*]a pair of 4x12 cabs - one Avatar with Vintage 30's and one Carvin with their G12-something-or-other[*]a pair of Mesa Boogie 1x12 Thiele cabs with Vintage 30's[/list]
              The verdict:
              The pair of 4x12 cabinets ruled. No doubt it was the biggest, thickest, tone.

The best sounding small rig was that pair of Boogie cabs. The Carvins weren't better or worse than the Line 6 2x12 - just different. The Carvin cabs didn't have the bottom end of the Line 6 cab but they were more lively because of the open back. The Boogie cabs have good bottom end and a bit more liveliness than the Line 6 cab. The Vintage 30's really sound better than the Celestions that Line 6 uses in their cabs. With the Vintage 30's you don't need to have a cab model on but the cab models are still useful sound shaping tools.

The really nice thing about the separate 1x12 cabs is the improvement in the stereo image. Even with the 1x12 cabs side-by-side they sound better than the 2x12 running in stereo. Having the separate enclosures makes a noticeable difference - the Carvins and the Boogies were both more noticeably "wide" than the 2x12.

Another cool thing about the 1x12's is you can really have a rig that is easy to manage for a lot of situations - grab a head and one cab for tight situations or grab two cabs and spread them for a full sound - you get the idea.
              I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

PS my flextone cab is closed back, can be run mono at 8 ohms and stereo at 4 ohms each side.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  PS my flextone cab is closed back, can be run mono at 8 ohms and stereo at 4 ohms each side.

[/ QUOTE ]Thanks for the offer Siggy. However, I just ordered an Avatar cab with the G12H80 speakers.

Comment

I got my Vetta II HD today and I uploaded Pete's presets file from last September. Plugged in my Morse and..... [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] The tones were nowhere near as great as I remembered them to be when I used a Vetta II HD thru a Genz Benz 2x12.

So, I got bummed out thinking I made a mistake ordering an Avatar stereo 2x12 w/ Celestion G12H80s. I kept trying different presets and then I landed on D Soldano and ......it was incredible! [img]/images/graemlins/idea2.gif[/img] I finally realized that the most of Pete's presets did not have cab simulations because he ran them thru his Marshall, but the direct ones did. Doh!

I went back to the first preset, SLODANO, and put a HIWAT Cab with the 5150 and a t75 Cab with the Soldano. GREAT tone. It gets even better. I then changed the output for 2x12 in stereo and now the tone is unreal. Those G12H80s are perfect for that head. Blows the stock Genz Benz away.

It's amazing what a tiny bit of tweaking can do with the Vetta. Great tones are in there.

Comment

Welcome back to the vetta family. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Pete

Comment

Hey Fritz!
                        Ya know, ever since I played through your old Vetta, I can't get that awesome tone outta my mind! For the past year or so I've been toying with the idea of getting one, so I think I might just have to bite the bullet. (be looking for a large sale of Laneys in the Classified section [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]) Of course, I'll have to get your presets! How much did you pay for the new Vetta?

Comment

One of the things I've read is if you are running a 4 x 12 in some cases you are better to set your global cab setting to 2 X 12 and you'll get a better tone ..
                          Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

The Vetta 2 that I gigged with and used in the studio was the best sounding amp I have ever heard live with or recorded with. The Vetta 2 may be the one amp that's tone is not subjective. Guys may not like the learning curve and all the tweaking needed but I can't imagine that anybody could deny how incredible it sounds.
                            BTW.. bro's, if Subvamp sells more of his Laney's you guys should give them a serious look. I bought one and it is EVERYTHING that he claimed it is. If you needed an inexpensive great sounding rock/metal amp for home, studio or gigging you need to check them out. Maybe I will buy another one from him if he list them.

Comment

Hey Tony!

I would recommend getting a used Vetta I and have the Vetta II firmware uploaded onto it. I had ordered a new Mesa Rectoverb and UPS damaged it, so I asked the dealer to replace it with a Vetta II.

The Vetta I goes for $800 - $1000 w/FBV on eBay. The Vetta II is $1600+ w/o FBV (new).

The presets that you played on my old Vetta II thru the Genz Benz were Pete's also. I like them even more with the Avatar cab I just got.

If you are seriously considering a Vetta, let's get you back to my place and play thru it again. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X