HELP ME TO FIND OUT THE PLATE VOLTAGE OF MY HEADS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP ME TO FIND OUT THE PLATE VOLTAGE OF MY HEADS

What is the trick to find out the plate voltage of a head?

Re: HELP ME TO FIND OUT THE PLATE VOLTAGE OF MY HEADS

Measure the voltage on a multimeter from pin 3 on a pentode (EL-34, 6L6, 6550, ect) to a ground. If your sorta newer at this, find pin 3 on the underside of your tubes, put the postive neddle (red) of a multimeter to that, and the negative (black) to a ground (metal). Hope that helps...

Comment

Thanks. I have a multi meter I will give it a try.

Comment

The best way to measure voltage of the head is to do it with the amp out of the case, chassis upside down (carefull with the tubes).
        Ground your black probe (to the chassis), and use the red to touch the plate pin of your particular power tube. You will have to look up what pin that is for your particular tube type.

Do need to have both the power and standby ON when you do this, and the volume should be down all the way (the amp will be under load, but at idle).

Remember that the voltage will likely be 450+ volts DC, and unlike AC, DC wont give you a little break 60 times per second from un-intentional shocks. I have only heard about getting 450+ volt DC shocks, and it does not sound fun.

Also, use the 'one-hand' rule. only have one hand at a time in the chassis with the power on to avoid taking the shock across your chest thru your arms. Your heart is at the central point where a leathal shock meets when two hands are involved.

Even the old pros I know take the time to actually put one hand in a pocket while the other is busy in the amp. As dumb as it sounds, it helps avoid the unintentional use of that hand (and reduces the likelyhood you will get killed tremendously). Your amp likely only has a 1/2 amp fuse internally, but 500mA is plenty to leave you 'seriously killed' (not just killed).

Comment

Thanks. I did electrical work and I know for a fact that catching a jolt is not fun. I did it already and it worked out fine. Thanks for all the info. Paul

Comment

I'm a little curious as to why you want the plate voltage. Filter caps going bad? Setting Bias? Going to do a "Brown mod" on a Marshall for a Van Halen tone?

Comment

Im just biasing my heads. I just bought a bias king and need the plate voltage of each of my heads to calculate the bias setting.

Comment

Bias king: cool beans.
                If you can, its best to bias yourself. Then you can pop in a set of tubes at a moments notice and see how they sound in yer rig (Sovtek vs JJs vs Svetlannas vs ???)

Comment

Working...
                X