Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's more important to the tube sound?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's more important to the tube sound?

I haven't owned much tube gear so I was curious what is more important to the 'tube sound' as far as cutting through better and what not, a tube pre-amp section or a tube poweramp section? I want to buy a power amp to run my XT Live into and I was wondering if a tube poweramp would give it the characteristics of a tube amp as far as the harmonic overtones and what not go, or if that is accomplished normally by a tube preamp section?

Re: What\'s more important to the tube sound?

Power amp. The tone characteristics can come from anything, but the power amp is what gives it that tube "flavor."
    please don't put it into words, 'cause I fear what you're thinking

Comment

Yeah, a tube power amp will give it some "tube flavor", but mostly noticable if it is getting to a volume level where the tubes are saturating. Typically a tube power amp is a nice touch regardless. Less harsh and more pleasing.

I never use levels that would saturate my KT88s in my VHT 2150 (but it sure sounds better than a solid state amp), so I actually get a LOT of my sound out of the preamp.

I'm sure you will be happy running the XT through a decent tube amp nonetheless.

Comment

Awesome thanks guys [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
        X