Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VHT USERS, Have questions... Can ya help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VHT USERS, Have questions... Can ya help?

Anyone out there using a VHT head? Can anyone tell me how they compare to a Mesa Dual Rectifier or 5150 head in sound? Pro's / cons.. Do they have switching outputs for each channel?

Re: VHT USERS, Have questions... Can ya help?

I have a 50 CL head with EQ + Reverb. I can't compare it to those two amps mentioned but it is a tight, higher gain, hot rodded killer Marshall based tone. Distinctive distortion and killer imho.

There are a few different models, CL, UL, ST etc that all have their difference in options.

The 50 CL really has no clean channel per se, just two different similar voiced channels. They are foot switchable, boost and EQ are also foot switchable. It’s a great 80-90 hard rock and metal amp. With the EQ option you can get some modern metal out if it but I think (at least my 50 CL) VH, Dokken, Rhoads type of metal is it thang. Also the 50 CL has a bias switch that will let you run 6L6's instead of EL-34's if you so choose.
    shawnlutz.com

Comment

John, I am getting in a PITBULL UL Early next week I will let you know then if you can wait
      I keep the bible in a pool of blood
      So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

Cool...I think I want one! LOL

Comment

VHT amps are great.
          Only one thing I should say is that VHT amp would sound very different from Mesa Rect and 5150.
          Very different voicing and gain too.
          If you dig modded Marshall with very tight bottom, you will dig it.
          If you prefer something very distored sounding like 5150 or Mesa, then VHT is not for you.
          I sold mine(VHT Classic) and I am going back with Mesa or Engl.

Comment

DJM, I hear ya... I guess I have to try one. My last amp was a Bogner Uber. I didn't like it. LOL I do love a Marshall sound but need the tight bottem and heavy gain.

Comment

John from what I have read and clips I have seen the CL seems to be right up your alley
              I keep the bible in a pool of blood
              So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

haha You know me... Different amp every week! LOL No seriously, I went back to the Dual Rec and it sounds good but something is missing... I just started using my 5150 and it has a more refined gain, tighter. It sound pretty F***** good but I gotta try a VHT real soon. I'm going to be using whatever head I end gigging with a Rocktron Patchmate and my effects.

[ QUOTE ]
                John from what I have read and clips I have seen the CL seems to be right up your alley

[/ QUOTE ]

Comment

You are going in the same process I or many people have been through.
                  [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                  The best way to fix this type of problem is to have multiple amps like Shawn.
                  If you have let's say 3 amps, that should cover pretty much everything.
                  All you need is an ampswitcher and multiple cabs and probably a nice poweramp.

I wish I could have everything in 1 amp.
                  Bogner's Blue CH,Rect's Red CH, OD100's Clean CH, Engl's 3rd CH , 5150's lead CH, Soldano's Lead CH and so on [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I guess that is why many people end up getting Line6 because it is so much easier to get all kind of sound in 1 amp.
                  They are not exactly like originals though.

I really think you should stick with a modded Marshall like John Suhr's and get a Fender amp for clean sound and use A/B switcher or Bogner Ecstacy.
                  Bogner Ecstacy would sound much better than VHT if you are into Modded Marshalls.

Comment

What you may or may not like w/ the VHT is the lack of saturation and compression that more Marshally high gain amps have. The VHT will not get near the distortion a 5150 has but it has plenty of grind in a clean sort of way. I use a Bad Monkey to push it a little and the saturation is just what it gives it but maintains its clarity and string definition. I have a 50CL and an XTC like Shawn does and they are definately pretty different amps. Another very cool way to run the VHT is in Class A mode...it really brings out nice harmonics and chewiness like the XTC but again...pushing it w/ an overdrive pedal set w/ the level high and the gain low to off....definately a cool amp. I'm not suggesting the VHT doesn't have plenty of gain on tap...it does...just not in a saturated way. It would be hard for any heavier blues guy or metal guy not to like the amp especially if you don't mind using some pedals.

Comment

Working...
                    X