OK I just made a Trade ENGL for VHT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: OK I just made a Trade ENGL for VHT

I tlaked to a guy who owned the powerball and the 570, and seems to think that the powerball was actually more aggressive. But he isn't a metal player so much.

He also mentioned getting an ENGL 530, and then modding it to powerball preamp components (preamp layout is similar) as being a great mod and very brutal as well as cheaper than the 570.

Ugh... The quest of for ultimate brutality with character never ends...

Comment

Man if you could mod the 530 and keep your CAE I think that would be a sweet setup and much cheaper... I am going to have to find the ENGL forums now!
      I keep the bible in a pool of blood
      So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

Nice one!! I'm seriously thinking of buying a Powerball soon, and my bandmate is actually going for the VHT UL. I would really appreciate your thoughts on both of them if possible. (We are aiming for a Nevermore meets Pantera style tone).

Also how do you think both amps would work together in a live situation...would they compliment each other reasonably well? Cheers

Comment

Honestly I can only comment on the powerball right now but I had only one small complaint about it... The lead tone I could never quite get right where I liked it. That was minor though because I could get good tone just not perfect tone if you follow... The only reason I truly got rid of the Powerball is the simple fact I am a gear whore. I would not hesitate suggesting that amp to anyone!

Comment

OK cool. Im hoping to secure a new job in the next couple of weeks, and if it works out ill let myself try one out at the local store with intent on getting it. The soundclips i've heard are the best ive heard for any amp, not that it means anything, but the reviews tend to back up what i heard too.

I hope you enjoy the UL, thats one hell of an amp. Very rare on this side of the pond.

Comment

VHT landed today it is sitting in my office waiting to take it home and fire it up

Comment

I bet that is making you drool...I don't think I could sit still if an amp I was waiting for was sitting next to me taunting me with whispers of "play me". Enjoy it, they are awesome amps!

Comment

Can't wait for a review!
                  What cab are you using? You said Marshall, right?
                  [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

coolio...the waiting game [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                    shawnlutz.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      Can't wait for a review!
                      What cab are you using? You said Marshall, right?
                      [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I have one of the TV cabs with the greenbacks in it. It sounds huge but I just formed a new band over the weekend and I think I am going to need a louder cab so I am looking at a fat bottom...

Comment

not too hijack this thread or anything,how does the fat bottom with p50 sound with a powerball? I currently have a recto trad...

Comment

I bet it sounds great but I can't honestly say [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Been playing this amp for 10 minutes now and well I like it not sure if I love it yet but the thing is so unforgiving. The Powerball did a much better job covering my mistakes... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Not the amp for John I think this has a similar issue tha the CAE does John... It is awesome but from your description it just lacks the ultra gain/saturation that the Powerball seems to excel at bu at the same time is such an amazing beast. for my Current project though I hink this amp might be perfect because with 2 guitars and one huge bass rig I am looking for clarity and sizzle and this amp has it. This amp moves air though like no other and not flubby air... I wish I had my Genz Benz still just to punish it with this amp... I need a full stack no doubt!!!!!

Comment

VHT's are a little odd. You can get a ton of sustain but they always sound so clean, almost like there's a clean channel being played in paralled with the dirty channel; it doesn't sound like there's a lot of gain but it feels like there's gain. They are super tight and super clear and will cut through almost anything.

Comment

You know I think you summed that up perfectly Venom... Perfectly. A good thing though is that is what I am looking for. Being in a lowend band with a second guitarist it is exactly what I need... Personally in a 1 amp band for metal I would never use this for the Blues or hard rock maybe but there are better choices for this but my specific need it is perfect... plus it nails Petrucci for me... which is the antithesis of what idescribed but it does that well too [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Glad you got her in good shape and it works [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I agree that the amp from a players perspective isn't forgiving, you make a mistake in you technique your gonna hear it clear as day [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

If you like the bottom end of that amp I think the fatbottom will make it mo better for you. With the CL, the fatbottom with P50E's really added some balls and punch to it without flubbing out.
                                shawnlutz.com

Comment

Working...
                                X