• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: OK I just made a Trade ENGL for VHT

powerball is 6L6GC, yep!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      Thanks Toru... No doubt they are two different beasts I really like a lot of the tones of the VHT as far as versatility it really is like the bect sounding Mark IV ever had...

[/ QUOTE ]

Told you bro...That's what the UL sounds like to me too....what the MK IV WISHES it sounded like.

Comment

One thing I feel the VHT's in general lack, (most agree), is saturation....If you are not against it...a pedal to give it a little boost is incredible with these amps and instantly gives you the saturation. Combine that with different settings of the depth control some seriously kick ass tones can be had. Another thing I've been playing with on my CL50 is the class A mode....this really brings out a harmonically sweet richness akin to my XTC. I have the Class A option on my XTC but it doesn't change the tone/character of my amp NEARLY as effectively as the VHT. VHT's are truly quality amps and worth spending a good deal of time with to fully realize their potential....good luck. I use a $40.00 Bad Monkey to push my preamp by the way.

Comment

Really... You think a Tube screamer would do the Job

Bill I honestly think at some point I will buy another Powerball... Awesome amp... the more I think about it the Powerball and the VHT would eb teh perfect compliments to each otherand that way I can run two full stacks on stage
          I keep the bible in a pool of blood
          So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

I have a tube screamer sitting next to the Bad Monkey...I prefer the Bad Monkey but it isn't like the TS is bad....try it out.

Comment

Bad Monkey's are dirt cheap so why not

Comment

I think if anyone needs to put a tube screamer infront of a uber or powerball...then that amp isn't for him.

Comment

The VHT tone is pretty unique and unto itself. It's definitely different than many other high gain amps. If you're a fan of more saturated high gain amps, like the Engl Powerball, PV 5150, or Mesa Dual Recto, than the VHT UL might not be your ideal high gain amp. Also somebody mentioned that the UL sounds dark. This makes me wonder if something is wrong with your particular amp (tubes, biasing, etc). My UL with the presence at only 9:00 sounds very, very bright (even thru a Bogner ÜberKab).

Also the built-in EQ is MANDATORY with all VHTs IMHO. The amp sounds totally different with the build-in graphic EQ option.

Comment

I think I would like a Powerball...

I LOVE my Uber until I really have to push it hard...when the EL34's kick in ....damn EL34's..

I LOVE the saturation and thickness of my preamp section...but those damn shitty EL34s...squash , compress , color and CLEAN up all the coolness that I dial up at a Moderate level...FUCK EL34s!!!!!

that is the WRONG tube for that power section IMO.....EL34 should be for amps that depend on compression and dirt...like clean plexis and whatnot...NOT Ubers..The Ubers preamp has ENOUGH coloration and gain...withought getting fucked in the ass by Mr.EL34!!!

BTW ..Shawn.."I hear ya Bill, plug in a guitar tuned to Eb into a VHT and the tone makes you want to play Van Halen"........EXCATLY!!!!..as soon as you plug in ...the VH tone and feel is right there...I can't help it!!!!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Yea I am with you Bill on the el34's. They sound good low and sing for lead. But crank them and f*.

Sounds like you are getting a handle on the Uber. I remember you were on the fence for a while.

The thing I like about VHT's is unlike some high gain amps-you play chords and you can hear definition not slush.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        Also somebody mentioned that the UL sounds dark. This makes me wonder if something is wrong with your particular amp (tubes, biasing, etc). My UL with the presence at only 9:00 sounds very, very bright (even thru a Bogner ÜberKab).

[/ QUOTE ]

I was talking about it being drak but only on the Lead channel with the EQ turned off... and actually more than dark it just sounds muffled but it is only at that spot

As far as a the Tube screamer that wasn't for the powerball it was for the VHT for "more" saturation

I personally think I am getting another Powerball and keeping my UL and will be very very happy

Bill you have to try a Powerball someone in Celveland has to have one [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

LRGman....you hear this too.....ahhhh kick ass...so its NOT just me..I HATE EL34s [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Tets....I think John and I ...own all the cool amps in Cleveland...

NOBODY carries anythig cool here...nothing you can't find in a Musicians friend..whooopppppieeeeeFRIGGIN"doooo!!! [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
                          X