Amping a POD 2.0 -are tubes worth the $$

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amping a POD 2.0 -are tubes worth the $$

I am a strong believer in tubes, I have a Marshall 4010 combo that gets it done, but to get flexibility, I am considering hooking a pod to a poweramp/cabinet. I want this to be easy to break out and sound decent.
    For sound quality, is it worth it to get an amp like the Mesa 20/20? Or should I just get an SS amp like the Rocktron velocity? Do you think the mesa is worth the $$ to play in a garage occasionally?

I don't want to drag the combo around with a cab and the pod so using that for a power amp is not an option.
    When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Re: Amping a POD 2.0 -are tubes worth the $$

What about those Atomic amps?

Comment

Garage: Everything sounds like ass in a Garage anyway, you'll be okay with a decent SS. Take some time to mess around with it so it doesn't sound too mushy in the garage.

Recording (in case you were wondering): I'd just hook it straight in anyway.

Live: Have fun. I have no idea, I'd like to see somebody's opinion on that one actually.

Comment

I would definitely recommend the Atomic Reactor amp for a POD (not because I have one for sale, either [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]). They were designed specifically for modellers, and the tube power amp adds no coloration and doesn't detract from what the modeller is trying to do.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

My live setup is pod pro-> marshall 9200-> ampeg 4x12. To me, it kills. Heavy as hell, though.
          Its a complete catastrophe. But Im a professional, I can rise above it. LOL

Comment

Tubes sound better but I don't think it warrants spending the extra cash just to play in a garage once in a while. The Rocktron Velocity will be fine for that.

Comment

David, you need to come over and hear my setup.

Ibanez Tube Screamer
              POD 2.0 w/floorboard
              Marshall 8004 Valvestate Power Amp
              Custom Built 2x10 Cabinet (closed back with the Marshall built in to the cabinet)

I'm not gonna say it has the punch of a tube amp but it does pack a punch and I can get just about any sound I want out of it. It's incredibly loud and doesn't lose much clarity at high volume.

In this setup, I've found that it's best to use the cabinet emulation in the POD instead of the amp/direct setting.

Back "in the day" I had a rack set up with an ADA MP1 and 4x12 w/Eminence speakers. My current set up sounds just as good and is more versatile.

We'll talk about it over lunch [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Here is a pic of the custom cabinet. The Marshall amp is a single rack space and is mounted flat inside the back of the cab. There is a space at the top and bottom for cooling and to access the inputs/outputs. I came up with the idea and a buddy of mine built it for me 3 or 4 years ago.

Comment

That is a nice idea. Your custom cabinet looks great!

I've been using my Pod XT with a Marshall 8008 Valvestate power amp into a Marshall 1960A 4x12, and it sounds good IMO (better w/cab emulation on), but I actually like it better through my computer speakers. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I'm getting a JBL Eon G2 to run it into. I'll let you know how it works out. Ideally, I'd like to get 2 of 'em and spread 'em apart for massive stereo separation, but I'll try 1 first.

Comment

Cool guys, so the idea should work pretty well. TX,I'm gonna have to take you up on the 'come over and check it out' offer.

Thanks guys!
                  When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

Working...
                  X