How do I take it apart?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I take it apart?

I have one of those nasty ol' Crate 212 cabinets...the 4-ohm ones covered in carpet. Anyway, I'd like to open it up because I suspect I can rewire it for 8 ohms. Problem is that carpet covers everything.

Any of you guys know how to take it apart? I removed one of the plastic things at a junction, and that was not very illuminating.

Re: How do I take it apart?

have you tried removing the front grille? it could be front loaded speakers in an enclosed cab. take a flat head screw driver and GENTLY try prying the grille off. a lot of times those are just velcroed on.
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      have you tried removing the front grille? it could be front loaded speakers in an enclosed cab. take a flat head screw driver and GENTLY try prying the grille off. a lot of times those are just velcroed on.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll give it a shot, and thanks for the tip. Now if it is front loaded, do I just take off that small back panel by the inputs to get at the wiring?

Comment

yes.
        GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I'm pretty sure you won't be able to wire it to 8 ohms. It more than likely has 2 - 8 ohm speakers wired in parallel. If you wire them in series, you will get a total load of 16 ohms.
          Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            I'm pretty sure you won't be able to wire it to 8 ohms. It more than likely has 2 - 8 ohm speakers wired in parallel. If you wire them in series, you will get a total load of 16 ohms.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, okay. I don't really have much concrete info about the impedance relating to tone, but I'm under the impression that higher impedance often equals better tone, so I guess 16 would be even better than eight.

Do I have that correct? That's really my reason for this project anyway!

Comment

I believe you actually have that incorrect, it shouldnt sound any different whether you have the amp and cab at 4, 8, or 16. It WILL, however, sound different if you have the impedences mismatched (I.E. Amplifier set at 16, with a 4 ohm speaker, or amp = 4 ohms and a 16 ohm cabinet)

I believe you need to read up on your speaker cabinet information and the ohms law.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                I believe you actually have that incorrect, it shouldnt sound any different whether you have the amp and cab at 4, 8, or 16. It WILL, however, sound different if you have the impedences mismatched (I.E. Amplifier set at 16, with a 4 ohm speaker, or amp = 4 ohms and a 16 ohm cabinet)

I believe you need to read up on your speaker cabinet information and the ohms law.

[/ QUOTE ]

A few people I've spoken with claim a cabinet running at 16 ohms sounds better than those running at lower impedence, but you are definitely right about mismatched impedence - it's a sure way to make even the best head and cab sound like honey-roasted ass. Whether I get better tone out of it or not, learning how to re-wire a cabinet can't be a bad thing.

As I mentioned in the first post, I couldn't find the info I was seeking. No info at Crate's Web site, or an other that I could find.

Comment

Working...
                X