Speakers WTF---Part 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Speakers WTF---Part 1

well, i'm not sure about the PA speaker part. i know the JBL and EVM speakers i have are very guitar specific. JBL D-120s, G-12s, M-121 JBLs aren't considered PA speakers by the manufacturer...hmmm, and last time i checked EVM-12Ls were lead guitar speakers....PA, now yeah that would be bad...i had a klipsch 12" driver from a PA cab in my Rivera R55-12 for about 5 minutes - it was awful. now, when i put the D-120 in there....nothing like the muffled toneless-ness of the full range speaker.

on the other hand i think that the mosquito tone offered up by celestion lead 70, 75, 80, 85 is AWFUL. i had a celestion 85 in my R55-12 and it sounded like a buzzy cereal box. TERRIBLE....

now 25, 30, 35 watt celestions have there place as i previously mentioned and they sound great with my 63 fender tremolux, but again, if i use that cab straight up with my M-100 or S-120 rivera heads....buh!!! the sound becomes asserific. but blend the sound of that cab with the sound of my EV loaded cab and it's tone heaven.

but that's just my opinion. and we're ALL entitled to our own, so whatever...
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

yep i had 250watt cerwin vega's canvas cones, ive looked you cant get them anywhere anymore. these things were the cleanest tightest sounding speakers ive ever heard. no speaker break up at all, i ran all sorts of heads thru that thing, from bassmans to mod'd marshalls & everything sounded great, no mush at all. the cerwin vega 2X12 guitar cab was huge much deeper than anyother guitar cab ive seen & weighed almost as much as my 4X12.

Comment

Hey, I'm interested in the topic, too. I recently got a Marshall 1912 cab (1x12) closed back with a Celestion 140 (or so) watt speaker. Do I need a high wattage speaker for Heavy Metal? I would, ideally, want a Gary Moore sound on steroids. Or something like Iron Maiden's Flight of Icarus. So, what speakers should I go with?

Comment

well, it is very subjective. listen to the records, learn the songs...listen to your tone. if the speaker gives you what you want to hear, keep it. if not listen to the records again and focus on what type of sound you think you hear and let the fun of buying speakers begin!! it's not cheap, but it can be rewarding - especially when you develop your own tone.
          GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Hey,right in these days I was wondering about speakers.I'm in the middle of guitar trackings for my band's cd and I wish I had a cabinet loaded with greenbacks.I'd like to hear how my fireball would sounds thru it.

Comment

probably too bassy. unless you're into that sound.
              Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                Hey,right in these days I was wondering about speakers.I'm in the middle of guitar trackings for my band's cd and I wish I had a cabinet loaded with greenbacks.I'd like to hear how my fireball would sounds thru it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually the greenbacks are not bassy, they are very midrangey with not to much bottom end, well not as much as say a vintage 30. I like them alot better then the 75's and for rock music they are my speaker of choice, for heavier stuff i prefer the 30's.

Comment

I think I prefer the G1275s a little more than the Vintage 30s. The Vintage 30s can sometimes sound a little harsh and midrangey by themselves, but they mix well together with the G12T75.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

the tone selector at www.celestion.com makes me want to try a 4x12 of G12h speakers.
                    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Yep,greenbacks are very midrangey,so I thought my sound would have been a blast of crunchy mids,too bad I live in a sucky place and can't try them out.

Comment

Working...
                      X