Old Marshall Valvestates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Old Marshall Valvestates

I've seen pictures from shows however though where Chuck is using an 8100 which has the FX loop controls and whatnot on the front, and there's nothing plugged into them, so he's either going from guitar > BBE and Digitech unit > Amp or he's not running them at all which I find more likely...

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      but, well...each to his own. after all, they MUST be capable of producing great sounds....listen to death - symbolic, one of the greatest metal sounds i ever experienced, and chuck used an 8100.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah,Symbolic has one of the best guitar sound ever imo.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        I've seen pictures from shows however though where Chuck is using an 8100 which has the FX loop controls and whatnot on the front, and there's nothing plugged into them, so he's either going from guitar > BBE and Digitech unit > Amp or he's not running them at all which I find more likely...

[/ QUOTE ]

I think so...if I recall correct Chuck didn't like rack stuff and processors that much..

Comment

I aksed him in 98' what he used for gear and he said the Stealth and the Valvestate was all he used. I know you can hear chorus sometimes but didn't some Valvestates have a built in chorus.

On a side note I asked him about the guitar he is pictured with in the Guitar World issue Circa 95'...

We now know it as the Ignitor. (He called it something els and he was unsure of that name) He said BC Rich sent it to him and that it played nice but, he liked his Stealth better.
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

So what did I own... the VS100 or the 8100. Mine had the effects loop jacks on the front, it was a small sized head (around 25" long tops), it took 1 12ax7 preamp tube, I am almost 100% sure it said Model 8100 on the back with the British flag. What is the difference between a VS100 and a 8100?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              [ QUOTE ]
              8100. I like the VS100 better. Look around, you can usually find them for around $250.

[/ QUOTE ]

Out of curiousity, what makes the VS100 better in your eyes? I'm buying Zeeg's so I'm looking forward to messing around with it! I read that Chuck Schuldiner used a Sonic Maximizer with his so I might pick one of those up for fun, they're pretty cheap for the single channel model...

[/ QUOTE ]

The Vs100 is basically the same thing as the 8100 except the Vs100 had a seperate reverb control for each channel and the effects loop and footswitch output where in the back vs. the 8100 had them in the front.

Comment

So I definately owned the 8100 which is what I thought. Nice little amp. It is hard to believe that Chuck used them live and in the studio though.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  I know you can hear chorus sometimes but didn't some Valvestates have a built in chorus.

[/ QUOTE ]

The 8200 was a 200 watt version with built in chorus.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    I aksed him in 98' what he used for gear and he said the Stealth and the Valvestate was all he used. I know you can hear chorus sometimes but didn't some Valvestates have a built in chorus.

[/ QUOTE ]
                    There were three models with chorus. There was the 8240 2x12 combo (40 watts per channel) that came out in the early '90s, which I bought brand new back then and still use once in awhile, and I usually like to keep the chorus switched on with the depth and rate controls at zero so that I still get a slight boost/doubling effect. And then there was the 8200 head (100 watts per channel) and the 8280 combo (80 watts per channel) Bi-Chorus models. They had two chorus modes... one was the traditional type chorus and the other was a flange type of chorus.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                    X