How many speakers do you gig with?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many speakers do you gig with?

I usually use a 2 x 12 cabinet live. I have a 4 x 12 but it doesn't fit in my car. I recently picked up a 1 x 12 Mesa 3/4 back cab with a 90w Mesa speaker in it (it looks like it could house 2 x 12's. This thing throws some series sound and I am considering gigging with it. Does anybody here use a 1 x 12 for gigging (I do 80's-90's metal). I have never used anything less than 2 x 12's. It is going to be mic'd live anyway so the cabinet is more for stage volume rather than audience volume. What do you guys use?
    The amp I use is a Carvin MTS3200 running E34L's.

Re: How many speakers do you gig with?

If I'm playing with a second guitarist, I will just use one 4x12 cab. Sometime when playing alone, depending on the place, I may run 2 of them and set the second one across the stage. That is merely to fill out the stage sound where the band or I can hear it better and the people standing up front get the real deal. Usually the monitors aren't all that effective in places we've played so it's nice to hear my cabs... I could easily run good quality 2x12s as I really don't like a massive stage level, just enough to hear me. Lower is better and more controllable. I run 4x12s because I have them. Not because I love carrying them!

In some places where I couldn't really get loud and hear my cab because of amp placement, I would often sit a 1x12 cab on top of my rig pointed at me so I could hear myself properly.

Technically, if the monitors were great for the rest of the band to hear me (like a pro stage), I'd really rather have a Palmer box send of my power amp out running to the FOH (no mic), and just a 1X12 pointed at me...

Comment

2-12 Cab or a 4-12 cab or on occasion both but 3/4 stack has been my limit
      I keep the bible in a pool of blood
      So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

min of 1 4x12 for me when gigging but anwyere from one to four 4x12's.

John, I agree about the 3/4 widebody 1x12's. Thing sounds huge for a 1x12 and the C90's are killer speakers imho
        shawnlutz.com

Comment

i use 2 1x12 cabs and a 4x12. i used to use (and still do if i'm playing a "dive') a single 1x12 cab. it got/gets lost on stage. if the monitors were good then it was okay. otherwise the sound was VERY directional and if i moved from in front of it the sound would be lost. if you go that route but one of those amp stands and put the cab up. or but some tilt back legs (fender makes them) and angle the cab up. it helps.
          GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Maybe I should run a 2 x 12 on my side and a 1 x 12 on Sambencuda's (Jim) side. I am pretty sure he is going to gig with his single rectifier and a 4 x 12.

Comment

that would probably be best.
              GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

Comment

those vertical recto 2x12's are perfect at any venue.
                Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Depending on what I feel like, I either take 1 Marshall 1960, or 2 of them. usually one to a side of the stage.

I've played through a 2x12 on several occasions, because for the same reason, my 4x12s won't fit in my civic!

As for 1x12s being directional, so are 2x12s. You've really got to angle them on where you plan on being at, but they are more than enough to get the job done.

There's this guy, called the sound guy, and he asks you at some point of the night "Do you want any of yourself in the monitors?" This is when you say yes, and if your band mates can't here you, they say yes!

Comment

Never trust the soundguy. I always have AT LEAST on 4X12 and I like to grab a second one and point it straight at my drummer. My stage volume is tremendous. I have never needed to put my guitar in the PA.

Comment

Most people dont play places that have real sound guys or good monitor systems... Monitors usually sucked everywhere I played.

Comment

I use a minimum of 2 4x12 cabs, and 6 for outdoor shows. In clubs I will use 4 as it becomes a good backdrop. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

a lot of the places we play have decent monitors and a couple of them have great soundmen, but it's still tough getting a good sound through the monitors. when the whole band is pumping through monitors it just makes the white noise level on stage increase. monitors in most places are mostly for the vocals since a vocalist can't plug their throat into an amp. the places we play ALWAYS have the mains out in front of the stage (where they should be) and mostly use monitors for vocals, so unless we have adequate levels on stage it gets hard to hear our own parts. we do have a sennheiser ear system but most of the clubs don't want to jack those into their mixers because it takes too long to set up. so having adequate cabs on stage is a must. i have gone on record several times about how i prefer 1x12 cabs, and i do, but 1 is never enough, and the old arguement about monitors is weak because not every venue hooks you up the same or makes you sound the same, etc. in a perfect world you could play every show with a 30 watt combo, stick it on a chair and have it mic'd up and you'd sound like God. reality is more like, show up with a 30 watt combo and play like you're deaf because unless you stand right in front of it, and even then you may struggle...
                          GEAR:

and finally....

Comment

I get two 1x12's and wear them as headphones.

Comment

I use a 2x12 combo and haven't had a problem so far
                              Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Comment

Working...
                              X