How many speakers do you gig with?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How many speakers do you gig with?

Some of you guys are some serious heavy hitters! Most of the clubs I play in lately don't have room for a full stack +. [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Comment

I use 4x12 and the least I would use is 2x12 or two 1x12 combos you need to push air. 30 watts at least for some headroom, 50 watts is enough for almost anywhere & 100 watts is overkill.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        I use 4x12 and the least I would use is 2x12 or two 1x12 combos you need to push air. 30 watts at least for some headroom, 50 watts is enough for almost anywhere & 100 watts is overkill.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I wouldnt say 100 is overkill. I used to think that 50 was plenty for anyone, but since I got my JSX ive started to think otherwise. Its either 100 or 120, I cant quite remember, but the thing I love about it is that the overall sound doesnt change very much when its very very loud, and at bedroom volumes (best sounding bedroom volume tube amp Ive ever heard, as well as live volume!)

But when you have a 50 watt, and especially on a 30 watt tube amp, your amp sounds considerably different from low volumes to high volumes, requireing a new EQ setting to compensate, which isnt too much of a problem in the long run, but the extra headroom from a 100w is nice.

Comment

in my band we play a lot of clean to dirty songs (ballads, mood pieces, etc.) so 50 watts never gave me enough clean headroom. now i use a 120 stereo rivera running 2 1x12 cabs and another 100 watt rivera running a 4x12 and i have the clean headroom i need.

but back on topic...

JG, what size venues are you playing? that will have a lot to do with cab size also. we got booked into a pizzeria once (don't ask) and in that case one 1x12 WAS enough, but the crowd capacity was about 75. most places we're doing now are 200-500 people capacity, so the sound systems are much larger - so are the stages (not excessive - but big enough)...that will have a lot to do with what you'll need.
          GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Yup, I'm goin with the Mesa halfback 4x12! John, you might do better with you Randall vertical 2x12. That is a seriously loud cab for a 2x12. I think we'd be alright with that setup.
            "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

I need a pickup truck. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                Yup, I'm goin with the Mesa halfback 4x12! John, you might do better with you Randall vertical 2x12. That is a seriously loud cab for a 2x12. I think we'd be alright with that setup.

[/ QUOTE ]
                That's the 4X12 I use!!

And the last time I checked the difference between a fullstack and a halfstack was height, not the size of it's footprint. If you can fit a halfstack, and you can stand up straight(granted, I don't know how tall all of you are), there is room for a fullstack.

Comment

I usually use a Marshall 1960 slant cab with the hated and feared Celestion 75s in stereo, and run two SM57s, one on each bottom speaker. That fills the sound out through the PA, but probably 30% or so of my volume at gigs is off the cab. I angle it off center so it's pointed at one of the subs so I'm not killing anyone with a direct hit out in the club. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I've thought about running a pair of 4x12s in stereo and have em far left and right stage, but a lot of my vetta programs are two complimentary amps running at the same time. If I can't hear them both, then it throws the tone off for me.

BTW, if you are so loud onstage that you have no volume going into the PA, there are a lot of people at your gigs that are either getting their head cut off by your guitar tone and can't hear anything else, and the rest can hear the band great but can't hear you. 4x12 cabs are very directional... you might want to cut your volume down a little bit and at least pump some of that into the PA.

Nothing is worse than seeing a band and not being able to hear them clearly. I think some shitty bands get a better rep just because you can hear everyone well... I know guys in bands that can really play, but if you can't hear them, how would you know?

Pete

Comment

John - Check into the 2x12 that goes with that head - the Carvin VE212. I used one with a Fender RocPro1000 head and it consistently drowned out my singer/guitarist's Tubeworks 4x12 with Greenbacks using the same head. It's a 200w head that can definitely dish out the sound with stunning clarity.

Stand it on its end and you can use it as a monitor.

Of course, we only played in places that had 200 people capacity at most if the Fire Marshall wasn't looking [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Pete. I happen to like the Celestion G12T75's and the 1960A cab [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I also agree with running through the PA. It doesn't matter how loud your backline is, you have to have balance out front for the crowd. You brought up a great point that is often overlooked, live sound. I have seen so-so bands sound alright because they knew what they were doing sound wise, on the same token I've seen great bands sound like shiot because they didn't know anything about live production.
                      shawnlutz.com

Comment

it depends on the venue:
                        no less than 2 4x12's-or 4 4x12's for larger halls

Comment

John, you and Jim are in a band together? That's cool. Is the Mesa 1x12 cab my old one? Anyway, I was in a band playing out and all I used was my Single Recto into the 1x12 (no mic) and never even had it up half-way. This one pool hall was big and open and I think the master was at 11 o'clock. So if you're mic'ed, a 1x12 should be fine. BTW - what head are you going to be using?
                          Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            Never trust the soundguy. I always have AT LEAST on 4X12 and I like to grab a second one and point it straight at my drummer. My stage volume is tremendous. I have never needed to put my guitar in the PA.

[/ QUOTE ]This is why a- you always bring your own soundguy, and b- no one can hear anything but your guitar ! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                            Its a complete catastrophe. But Im a professional, I can rise above it. LOL

Comment

For places we don't trust the guy, we bring our own. He's this guy, that no one can remember his name, so we call him Black Richie, and he looks like Frank fucking Harris (as we say). He gives us a great mix, and is always a joy to work with.

Mic the cab, but have it up loud enough for you to hear it, then have yourself go into the other members monitors, or into your own.

Comment

Working...
                              X