B52 AT100 - 3 channel - 12 tubes!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: B52 AT100 - 3 channel - 12 tubes!

Played it at rehearsal tonight. It is LOUD! Plus, it sounds great, and fits in well with our sound. I played my KV4 with Duncan custom through it, and it took on a whole new personality. We all know it's hard to describe in words how and amp sounds, so listen to End of Heartache by Killswitch Engage if you have it. That's the exact sound I have right now.

One thing I have noticed, is that amps that have a very smooth focused distortion at low volumes, tend to get lost in the mix at band volumes. Well, the distortion isn't as tight on this thing, but when playing at band volume it sounds great, with very fast attack, and tight bottom end.

The pilot light thing is a real pissoff though. I wonder when I will get around to fixing it.
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Sounds cool! Thanks for the review.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Hey Zeegler, my old guitarist had one of these, and it absolutely crushed through a 5150 straight cab. Brutal, punishing rhythm, but were never able to get a really good lead tone out of it.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          Hey Zeegler, my old guitarist had one of these, and it absolutely crushed through a 5150 straight cab. Brutal, punishing rhythm, but were never able to get a really good lead tone out of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously? I haven't spent much time developing the lead sound on it, but I had imagined with the contour select function that it would be pretty easy to get something good. Damn, you've got me worried now. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

Well, he had the previous model with the flamed out front panel, and I've heard that the new ones actually made the contour knob useful. YMMV, and I hope the new ones are an improvement. As far as I could tell, the old ones should be treated as strictly a rhythm amp.

Comment

Ah, that's the 2 channel ST100A. They actually still make that one, and it's $100 cheaper at Musicians Friend.

Comment

Where are these made? China?
                I've heard these are much better sounding amps than the 1st generation, but...hope it lasts.
                "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Zeeg, my SLO's pilot lamp did the same thing the entire time I owned that amp...you're in good company. It may be a tone thing...

Comment

Those first series B52 tube amps in my humble opinion, SUCKED. Worst sounding tube amp I've ever used.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      Zeeg, my SLO's pilot lamp did the same thing the entire time I owned that amp...you're in good company. It may be a tone thing...

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I'm going to fix mine...eventually.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I'm going to fix mine...eventually.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you need a replacement pilot light, let me know. I probably have a few hundred of them in stock in various color!

Comment

Thanks John. I don't think the light is faulty, it's most likely a bad solder joint. However, a pilot light other than the standard boring red might look cool.

What have ya got?

Comment

send me a pic of what it looks like and I will check my inventory. JG

Comment

Working...
                            X