No announcement yet.

VHT Pittbull Super 30 in the house....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VHT Pittbull Super 30 in the house....

This little amp kills....from the stellar cleans to the cruchy Marshall grind coming out of it you would never guess it's powered by 4 EL84's.....it's a really loud Class A 30 watts.....the onboard speaker is nice - but this amp really shines through another cab, in this case my Bogner Oversize 2x12.

The real acid test was when I went immediately over to my buddies house and had it in the same room as his Cameron....the look on his face when I fired her up was confirmation that I made the right move. It more than held it's own ground with the Cameron in terms of tone quality. It lacked the big sound of the Cameron (duh....30 watts / EL84 vs 100 wats EL34) but has a harmonic complexity all it's own that many of the booteek amps I've owned have lacked.

Having had to liquidate a ton of gear lately, most of my guitars and my XTC 101b, SLO, Aiken Sabre and Bogner Metropolis - I was looking for a compromise for the time being, but I'm way happy to report that this amp is far more than a compromise and can honestly say that had I found this amp a year or two ago I could've avoided spending a shitload of money. The journey has been fun though Like they say, one door closes - another opens.

I would highly highly reccomend this amp to anyone looking for a lower power combo capable of Marshally grind and Fender / Voxish cleans, no pedals needed, and one that will have no problem keeping up with a loud drumer ( into another cab of course). This thing rules. Also - spoke with VHT last week and they are in the process of turning the Super 30 into a head format as well.

Steve E

Re: VHT Pittbull Super 30 in the house....

Congrats on the amp. Sounds killer.

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Very cool! I've always wanted to try one of those little Pitbulls. I love EL84s, too. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I love EL84 amps
          I keep the bible in a pool of blood
          So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

I don't see it anywhere on VHT's website. Could you give some specs of the amp? Channels? Independent EQ, reverb, and volumes on each channel?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              I don't see it anywhere on VHT's website. Could you give some specs of the amp? Channels? Independent EQ, reverb, and volumes on each channel?

[/ QUOTE ]
              There's a pic of it when you log on to the main page. [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] There's also a link to click right next to it. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Well I'll be damned. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I clicked on Products initially and didn't see it. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Sounds like a cool amp for my situation except that I don't know whether it has independent reverb per channel or not. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Any idea on the cost? Don't tell me there's a pricelist on the website that I didn't see either... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

No idea about price or other specs on it. I think they had the specs on it awhile ago when I was checking it out, but I can't remember. Supposedly it's limited and only certain dealers are going to get them, but it'll be cool if a head version comes out, too.

Comment

Steve, you need to post a picture of it!
                    Including your guitars of course. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      No idea about price or other specs on it. I think they had the specs on it awhile ago when I was checking it out, but I can't remember. Supposedly it's limited and only certain dealers are going to get them, but it'll be cool if a head version comes out, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

These little mosters retail for a reasonable $1499 - street somewhere between $1100 - 1200. Seen them used for $900 a couple of times....one on evilbay right now that's actually nearby me(can check it out for somebody if needed...)starting at $800...

Anyway - reverb yes, but not independent per channel. Tube driven loop - with the loop engaged and level maxed it acts like another gain stage. Similiar functions and options per channel as the other VHT's. This amp is considerably more aggressive than the Pittbull 45. Just for kicks I ran my Fulldrive II into it and it was complete meltdown - full on Marshally high gain. Actually only needs it as a clean boost to do that, and thats with the amps gain at about 12:00 / boost on - with FD II added...so far the most impressive thing about this amp is it's ability to let the real qualities of different guitars shine - my Fender Strat is waay Stratty, my GMW just kills, and my Anderson Cobra pretty much rules the roost.

Also, from my conversations with the VHT guys this week, they're waaaaay happy with the response on this amp and I can't see them stopping at 200. The head version is on the design table now....

I really can't say enough about this amp. I'm going to add a VHT 1x12 close back extension cab w/ a greenback in it, maybe switch out the combo speaker for a Celestion Blue or Eminence Red Fang / Weber Blue Dog deal - get the British EL84 thing happenin' [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Steve E.

Comment

WOW!
                        Looks so small!!
                        They should make a head version of it and use it with a pair of 2 1x12s or a 2x12.
                        Congrats Steve!
                        [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Sweet! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Oh, forgot to add, please sell me the Bogner Cab.
                            [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              Oh, forgot to add, please sell me the Bogner Cab.
                              [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bwhahhahahahahhaa [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I've still got some Marshall lurking in me and that will make a great "amp stand" when I get another [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

FWIW - Jason Wallis has a couple Bogner Oversize 2x12's for sale now, including my dead mint one he just got from me last week [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Also Toru, I actually found an older JCM 800 50 watter thats a good candidate to send to John Suhr for his 3AE / SE mod...nice guy, that Suhr....the VHT and a Suhr modded Marshall would be killer....

Steve E

Comment

Working...
                              X