Marshall 1960 Classic 4x12 Cabinet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall 1960 Classic 4x12 Cabinet

Well, I visited a pawn shop today, and found 2 cabs.

The first was a Marshall Cabinet. It was a straight cab. I didn't look at the back tag very closely, but I should have. It looks IDENTICAl to my JCM 800 Series 1960B cabinet, except for the little golden tag on the bottom-left corner of the front of the cabinet said simply "1960 Classic"

I looked and tried to find some info for it. I know that it should be pretty good stuff, since its a marshall, but I dont really know how old it is, what speakers it has in it (celestions no doubt, but what kind?)

They wanted $500 for it, its in 9/10 condition. They recently got it in, so they could only haggle down to about $450. If I get it, I wont hop on it just yet, I'll take my chances and wait a few months and maybe the price will drop.

So, please, if you would, fill me in on the details of this particular 4x12.

THE next cab, was a JACKSON 4x12. Ive seen several of these around. They wanted $200 for it. Any good?
    Thank you.

Re: Marshall 1960 Classic 4x12 Cabinet

the classic should be the greenbacks, if i remember right and the vintage is the 30's and the lead is the 75's and the classic is the greenbacks. If you can get it for $450 and it is in great shape then i would go for it. Just make sure the speakers werent changed out, i usually remove one of the handles and peak in.

Comment

and to add it is a newer cab, it would be the same as the JCM900 classic cab accept they are dropping the JCM900 and just calling them the 1960 cabs now. It would be known as the 1960BC, B being straight and C for classic.
      http://www.marshallamps.com/images/p...nets/1960.html
      Please note they are not updated on there website there, they still show the JCM900 in the pictures.

These cabs go for about $949 brand new, so yeah that is a good deal.

Comment

Only problem is, I dont want greenbacks. I want either Vintage 30's or G12T-75's (like I have in my other cab, and I like them.)

I COULD swap out the speakers, but. . .I think I'll just wait for something else to come by.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          THE next cab, was a JACKSON 4x12. Ive seen several of these around. They wanted $200 for it. Any good?

[/ QUOTE ]
          I just recently saw one of those 4x12s for sale somewhere online, maybe ebay. I've got the 2x12 versions, I love them. They've got some nice smooth bass punch without being flubby. The speakers aren't labeled, but according to a review of one of the 4x12s on HC, they're supposed to have Emminence speakers.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

They looked like those, but with a black grille, and black speakers (with white jackson logos in the middle)

I may go have another look at the Jackson. How would they sound something like a JSX, with lots of emphasis on the mids and high freqencies? can you compare their EQ qualities to that of the pseudo-scouped tone of the G12T-75's?

Comment

I've used mine with my Mesa F-30 combo or SS Fender RocPro 100 head... it sounds very nice with both, takes well to high mids and treble no problem, and the bass stays tight and doesn't fart out at all. I'd say the speakers sound similar to the G12T75 I've got in a little 1x12 extension cab; warm with good bass punch, slightly scooped.
              I don't care for the Vintage 30 of my Mesa combo too much by itself, but it works well mixed with the G12T75 or the Jackson's speakers.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                Thank you.

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO they are weak. 2 bills is the going price.
                "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
                X