Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Scored a Dual Rec Tremoverb for $500

[ QUOTE ]
    I was ten bucks short of buying a maple board Charvel Fusion in there a few years ago for $110, and he sold it to another guy who was in the shop while I was out at the ATM.

Nice to see him get screwed. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Update: I found out the owner was way pissed at the guy who sold it to me, because he wanted to keep it for himself. So, he not only got screwed, but I didn't give him a reach around, either. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I finally got a chance this weekend to crank the thing up. I have never been a fan of Mesa amps...until now. Now I know why everyone complains about the XXX cleans, because they are teh shite next to this thing. I guess my negative opinion stems from DualRec Solo heads, which don't have the warm, smooth cleans of this amp. Predictably, the high gain channel gives you way more gain than you need. Perfect for rhythm, but I still prefer the crunch channel on the XXX for leads.

Hooking this up to the 2x12 /w Black Shadow 90, the Triple XXX to the 2x12 /w Vintage 30s, and then running the guitar to both amps...very, very evil. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

that's a great deal, I sold my DR Tremoverb (with 2x12" cab) for 4 times that amount last week!

Comment

I wish everyone would stop telling me how much I can get for this amp, because I'm short on cash right now (still waiting on the tax return) and I really like the sound of it. Maybe I can sell my girlfriend's kid into slavery. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

now THAT's what I call an option [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            [ QUOTE ]
            I was ten bucks short of buying a maple board Charvel Fusion in there a few years ago for $110, and he sold it to another guy who was in the shop while I was out at the ATM.

Nice to see him get screwed. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Update: I found out the owner was way pissed at the guy who sold it to me, because he wanted to keep it for himself. So, he not only got screwed, but I didn't give him a reach around, either. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I finally got a chance this weekend to crank the thing up. I have never been a fan of Mesa amps...until now. Now I know why everyone complains about the XXX cleans, because they are teh shite next to this thing. I guess my negative opinion stems from DualRec Solo heads, which don't have the warm, smooth cleans of this amp. Predictably, the high gain channel gives you way more gain than you need. Perfect for rhythm, but I still prefer the crunch channel on the XXX for leads.

Hooking this up to the 2x12 /w Black Shadow 90, the Triple XXX to the 2x12 /w Vintage 30s, and then running the guitar to both amps...very, very evil. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Noodles,

The newer Dual Rec's have a better clean channel then the older and in my opinion a better clean them the tremoverb, yes i have owned one of them in the past too. Nothing beats the roadking clean channels though from mesa, well i should say of the recto series anyway. As to the crunch of the recto, i love the crunch and it is a great rythem amp,it is alot more metal/Darker then the one on the tremoverb, the tremoverb was designed a little more for the rock/Jazz person with the dark side of the recto lurking. However for leads the whole Recto series do lack where other amps excell. I remember Lynch recorded with a Dual for rythem for awhile, but at the same time for leads on those albums he would use a marshall 6100.

I would wait for that tax return check, you may never get another Rec at that great of a price and it is worth keeping

Comment

PS- The going Rates for Tremoverbs on Ebay in decent to good shape is usually between $900 and $1050, add another $50 to $75 for the ATA case and that is roughly what you can get. I sold mine about a year ago for $950 and i had the one with the Tan front which is more preferred.

Comment

Thanks for the info Siggy, this is my first Recto and I really am enjoying it.

I've got a bunch of friends with DualRec Solo heads, and I have to say I've never really liked them. The gain is just too fuzzy sounding for my liking, and the cleans are too brown. The Tremoverb totally sold me when I got it home, since I was buying it with the intention of making money on a resale. I really do love the cleans, so maybe I just got lucky dialing it in--I have little to no experience on these amps. Maybe I'll just have to drag it over to your place this weekend for a little test and tune. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Mine is a blackface, which made my old bassist (formerly a guitarist) fall all over himself when he saw it. He used to play rhythm guitar in a thrash band in San Diego in the 90s, and this was his head of choice. I like how the gain is more subdued compared to the Solo head. I've got the XXX hanging around if I really want the gain, and now I have a backup to, say, send the XXX off to Voodoo to have some changes made. Just don't tell the girlfriend. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  Thanks for the info Siggy, this is my first Recto and I really am enjoying it.

I've got a bunch of friends with DualRec Solo heads, and I have to say I've never really liked them. The gain is just too fuzzy sounding for my liking, and the cleans are too brown. The Tremoverb totally sold me when I got it home, since I was buying it with the intention of making money on a resale. I really do love the cleans, so maybe I just got lucky dialing it in--I have little to no experience on these amps. Maybe I'll just have to drag it over to your place this weekend for a little test and tune. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Mine is a blackface, which made my old bassist (formerly a guitarist) fall all over himself when he saw it. He used to play rhythm guitar in a thrash band in San Diego in the 90s, and this was his head of choice. I like how the gain is more subdued compared to the Solo head. I've got the XXX hanging around if I really want the gain, and now I have a backup to, say, send the XXX off to Voodoo to have some changes made. Just don't tell the girlfriend. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

You know you are always welcome to stop over however this weekend i am actually working on saturday at 4pm till 12:00AM and sunday i am working 8am till 4pm, so any times in between there i am free. However my 3 channel recto is out in MD and i havent gotton the 2 channel in yet, so all i have at the apartment is the roadking, so if you want to play around with all my different amps you might want to wait for a different weekend to stop bye, but if you just want play with the tremoverb bring it on over.

I had the tremoverb and it did sound good, but the roadking, well lets just say it is a beast and way more options for tone shifting then the tremo, however the roadking and tremo distortions are more alike, both suited for the hard rock to rock to metal, but not as heavy metal as the solo heads.

As to the recto heads, these have the same distortion as the others, just darker, hard to explain but if you EQ it right you get rid of the buzziness. There are major mistakes people make with them, like for instant, the older ones the modern channel sounds more natural kinda like the tremoverbs but darker, the newer 3 channel versions just do not have the warmth of the older ones.

Personaly for my style i never really use the moderm channel anyway, i love the vintage channel on both the 2 channel and 3 channel and it just kills. Other mistake people make with recto's is trying to EQ them like they would a marshall, the biggest mistake you can make with a recto is cutting the mid's, and diming the treble and bass. I usually prefer all 3 (bass, treble, mid) all set right in the middle and i leave the presence at zero. If i am playing where they mic the cab then i adjust each knob according to how the sound man is EQ'ing me. Personaly i love the distortion of the red channel set to vintage and gives me a great heavy pounding rythem sound that best suits my needs for metal, more old school or hardcore compared to the modern which is more detuned modern style metal.

Now to be fair i have never had the chance to play a Diezel or ENGL or wizard etc... Just played the normal ones that are easy to play around here, like marshall, bogner and i use to Own a soldano HR50+, so out of all these amps i prefer the recto for heavy distortion.

My favorite is the 3 channel recto, it has killer distortion on the red channel in vintage mode, but also gives me the option for the lighter distortion with the raw modes, and the pushed mode on the clean channel is to die for for old style music!

I have heard by adding the bias mode to the recto you can get it alot better on the leads, alot of people say the problem with the recto's is they are biased on the cold side because they rely on the preamp distortion. One of these days i will have a Bias mode done, however vodoo will only bias to which tube you prefer, either EL34's or 6L6's, but i think you lose the choice to go back and forth between them.

I am also planning on getting tubes from Eurotubes as i heard he will pick out tubes so they will run hotter with the recto bias, so that is my next mission.

Comment

After having both el34's and 6l6's in my triple I wouldn't mind having it just biased for 6l6's. I like the 6l6's much better. I also don't like the spongy mode and always use the diodes.

Comment

I've been starting to mess around with it (as much as I can in an apartment), and realized the evilness of the diodes for metal rhythm. It turns the amp into a piece of industrial equipment. It's all about the tube rectifiers for feel, though.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        I've been starting to mess around with it (as much as I can in an apartment), and realized the evilness of the diodes for metal rhythm. It turns the amp into a piece of industrial equipment. It's all about the tube rectifiers for feel, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Industrial equipment" - I like that. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] That's the beauty of a Triple with diodes - the bottom end tracks so fast and clean, 'cause there's so much headroom.
                        Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

Working...
                        X