Mesa Mark IV users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa Mark IV users

I am looking for opinions from those who have used this head or currently use it.I am looking for a versatile aggressive head to go with a Bogner oversized 2X12 cab.I play mostly metal but would love an awesome clean channel also.I have read the reviews at Harmony and it seems a lot of tweaking is needed but worth it in the end.I owned the Powerball which was an awesome amp but I felt it was missing something.I would love to hear basic opinions,thanks for any help.

Re: Mesa Mark IV users

when it's dialed right it sounds great. breathe on a knob, or worse accidentally touch one - the magic tone can be lost forever. the clean channel is pretty good, the lead channel is great, but the rythym channel is shit. it's supposed to be a three channel amp, but it's really a 2 channel amp. the assignable effects loops is killer. the reverb sounds great. it sounds really good with 2 el34 and 2 6L6 power tubes. it's light weight but sounds heavy. the tweakable options are almost endless. but be preapred to work for a sound. also be prepared for midrange!!! it almost effortlessly gives the Santana lead tone. also very easy to get the sound Fates Warning uses on "Parallels" and "Inside Out". great amp.
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I have a purple stripe Mark III (basically a Mark IV). The thing is very verstile and sounds amazing. Be prepared to stop yourself from throwing it through a wall. The tweaking is so addicting. The tone is there, it's just a matter of squeezing it out of the amp. I'd never sell it though.

Comment

Kev I have owned both amps in the Powerball and the Mark IV.. Tweaking indeed I think all three channels sound great but there are a lot of options. I liked the Mark IV but I always get rid of the ones I owned. I think overall for just metal you are better off with teh Powerball IMO
        I keep the bible in a pool of blood
        So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

Thanks for the opinions guys.The Powerball was easy to dial in and had great tone,I just had a difficult time getting a nice lead tone.I don't want to spend all my time tweaking so I will either pick up another Powerball or try a VHT UL.Thanks again!

Comment

LOL Kev I just traded my Powerball for the VHT UL and I think that the Mark IV has the best lead tones no doubt... I think the UL lacks some of the balls of the Powerball w/o question but it is like a Mark IV on steriods... The UL requires a ton of tweaking.. My only complaint about the powerball was the lead tone
            I keep the bible in a pool of blood
            So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

personally I would take the Mark, very versatile amp.
              "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Working...
              X