Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

JGCable - just about got that amp ready to go.. :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JGCable - just about got that amp ready to go.. :)

I told John (JGCable) awhile back that if he wanted to check out this amp, I'd send it to him and see if he liked it or not. At worst he could give it a good playing/inspection, and at best he would be addicted to my tube amp creations [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

But, the amp was really rough looking... now, I know it doesn't look production by any stretch of the imagination, but at least the controls are labeled. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] If I ever did more of this amp, I'd have faceplates made... this was more of a 'what the hell does a matchless sound like anyways' thing, and since I didn't want to drop the coin for a real one, I built one with schematics and surplus transformers. Here are a few pics and a quick tour:

From left to right, we have a jewel light, same size/style as many fenders, power switch, rhythm mode. Rhythm mode is a preamp gain control that is footswitchable - you set it at a lower level than the regular one. This gives you a cleaner tone and makes the amp a bit more versatile. I used a setup like this because it changes the amp tone the least, and my switching setup is VERY quick and silent. It's not a true two channel amp, but it maintains a single channel amp tone, if that makes sense.

Then we have master, tone, and preamp controls, pretty standard stuff. 1/4" footswitch jack for the rhythm mode, uses a regular channel footswitch, and of course, our good friend, the input.

On the back we have attenuator volume for a 16 ohm load, and unattenuated 8 and 4 ohm outputs. Yep, this is another departure from the Matchless setup. Also a fuse, and the amp uses a marshall/computer style cord, which I prefer over a hardwired one. Tube sockets are all ceramic, and are as follows:
    1) 12ax7 preamp
    2) 12ax7 preamp
    3) EL84 power tube
    4) EL84 power tube
    5) Rectifier tube - can be 5Y3GT for less voltage/volume/browner tone, or others for more voltage/volume/cleaner sound. Transformers are Matchless, and that little one is a choke.

I still have a little more tightening up work to do on the amp, but I think John will at least have some fun goofing around with it when I send it to him. I'm always curious when people get to check out stuff I built - sometimes I spend so much time tweaking, I lose focus.

Pete

Re: JGCable - just about got that amp ready to go..

Hey Pete. I emailed you. Sounds good to me. Regarding the rectifier tube, just use your own discretion.
    Can't wait to try it and post a full review. The Spitfire is my favorite low wattage amp. Now all you need to build for me is a low wattage SLO!

Comment

Oh yea.. and how did you know that green is my favorite color?

Comment

Heheh, I just figured green went with the brown. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

regarding the rectifier, I'm sending it with a few different ones - it really changes up the tone/feel of the amp. It's like using a safe variac [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Pete

Comment

Sounds good. Real good. JG

Comment

Nice looking work man... Well done.

Comment

Man Pete if you made an SLO100 clone I think you would have a few of us lining up with cash in hand!!!

That Spitfire clone is sweet looking and I always waned one of those too
              I keep the bible in a pool of blood
              So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

The design of the Spitfire is so pure and unique.
                To me, everytime I hear one (which is rarely) it reminds me instantly of The Allman Brothers. The best thing about this amp is that it puts all the control at your guitars volume control. Matchless has recently started making the Spitfire again in a 1 x 12 and 2 x 12 combo. Its expensive. Really expensive. There are guys that make Spitfire clone kits and complete amps but I have yet to see one with the built quality of Pete's. Not even close.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  Man Pete if you made an SLO100 clone I think you would have a few of us lining up with cash in hand!!!

That Spitfire clone is sweet looking and I always waned one of those too

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd certainly be lining up with the cash if Pete were to do a low-wattage SLO clone! [img]/images/graemlins/band.gif[/img]

..in fact... Pete should do a JCF Limited Run of it! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

The item Pete needs to come out with is a JCF signature model Twisteramps preamp pedal. I have one and it kills.
                    There are so many great things I could say about it that there isn't room on this thread for them.
                    I will name a few though:
                    Gain-- holy crap. Its like a YJM308 on the juice.
                    Ruggedness-- its the toughest pedal I own.
                    Its got a graduated gain knob which is a fantastic feature.
                    Put it in front of your tube amp and it will slam your preamp tubes all to hell (in a good way)
                    Put is in the effects loop and it is a super powerful solo boost that really doesn't color your amps tone at all. The best way to describe it in the loop is a mini-BBE.
                    I have alot of cool pedals that are either stock or ones that I did extensive mods too and my Twisteramps Mushroom Cloud preamp pedal is one of my favorites.
                    If there were ever to be a JCF effects/amp type product, that should be the first.

Comment

aw.. I liked the low wattage SLO idea, that way we wouldn't need any form of boost, lol

Comment

I got myself one of those Twister Amps Nuke Boost's myself. It does kill. And it is built to withstand a nuclear blast also. I'm particularly found of what it can do to the rhythm tone. It adds more growl and thickens it up. I haven't tried it in the effects loop yet. I'll give it a shot but I heard that serial loops don't take pedals well. It sounds great in front of the amp anyhow. Congrats on the new Twister Amp John. Can't wait to hear some clips when you get it.
                        We must!
                        We must!
                        We must increase the bust!
                        The bigger the better!
                        The tighter the sweater!
                        The boys are counting on us!

Comment

Sweet! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I'd actually love to see a Twister EL84 high gain amp with two channels and reverb. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Hell yeah! A two channel, low wattage SLO clone would be perfect! Can't wait for a review, John....

Comment

Thanks for the nice words guys. Few things about SLO clones...

There already is a cheap SLO clone out there. It's called a 5150. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Unless I used the exact same custom transformers that Soldano uses, it's not going to sound the same. From there it's a slippery slope.

A low wattage SLO wouldn't be as cool as you'd think, since at cranked volumes you'd get a lot of power tube saturation. This would mean mud at as much gain as the typical SLO user wants. Not a good idea.

And last but not least, it would probably cost about as much as a used 'real' SLO or more for me to build a low wattage one. Not real economically feasable for me or the purchaser. Crazy high gain amps like SLOs are damn near improbable to wire up properly on turret board.

I *am* working on a low (6-15) watt JCM 800 clone though... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Pete

Comment

Working...
                              X