JSX users? anyone own one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: JSX users? anyone own one?

Noodles you know it is all taste but honestly I think 6L^'s sound way better clean than El34's
    I keep the bible in a pool of blood
    So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

So, Tetsuo, you think it is probably just the circuit itself making it sound a bit sterile? I've had the amp long enough now that I'm starting to consider some tube changes, or maybe even sending it to someone to get modded. Anyone have some suggestions? Where was that guy who modded his and sold it a month back?

Comment

Econ had a modded one he is from Puerto Rico and a good guy to deal with

I think it is the circuit... the question is, is dry really bad? Does it bother you? If it doesn't leave it alone but if you want it modded Voodoo is the place Econ had his done

http://www.voodooamps.com/ampswemod.html#PEAVEY
        I keep the bible in a pool of blood
        So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

The JSX may have a better clean (I have not heard it)but, the XXX has a better clean than almost every common hi gain amp out there. No one is ever satisfied. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

The clean ch has all the headroom you could want with no color. To me that makes a good clean.

Now it's up to you, your guitar and some external manipulation to personalize it. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

While I feel that the clean on the XXX is better than most high gain tube heads--no brown mud, no farting--it still is dead sterile without effects. I just want some more shimmer out of it, kinda like a Jazz Chorus.

Comment

I think the gain on the JSX is much more usable and sounds less buzzy to my ears. It just sounds better to me.

Comment

Well - after last nights show, I have to update my posting. Those heads are VERY good in a live setting. Add a chorus to the clean channel, and WOW. It took me all of about 3 minutes to dial in the tomes that the guitarist wanted - in all three channels. And similar to the 5150, the "ultra" channel for leads only needed the gain at 5 or 6 (I have the settings written down somewhere)
                Also - the noise gate worked on the head we used last night.
                I'm thinking about grabbing one

Comment

i know it's hard to get a good high gain tube amp with a nice clean channel unless you spend a small fortune. that is why i'm digging the JSX - it has both for a reasonable price.
                  i don't think the XXX is a bad amp - just not for my taste. that being said, the JSX seems very versatile right out of the box.
                  i like a clean tone to not color the sound as much but let my hands and guitar to do the coloring. the JSX isn't the be-all-end-all of amps but seems to have a great bang for the buck quality IMHO. it will definitely be an improvement over my old 5150 and having two gain channels will give me a custom tailored boost for solos w/out the need for an extra pedal to do the job.
                  when James designed the JSX, he set it up so you could easily swap the tubes. i'll bet 6l6's sound amazing in this amp. my Fender '65 deluxe has 9 tubes (6l6 power tubes) and the clean is very clean until you start to push above 4. i usually play it at about 3-3.5 (which is still very loud - especially for a 22wtt amp) and use my pedals for all my gain. i'm wanting the JSX to own an amp for the bigger shows and especailly the outdoor gigs. i also want to try to run my modulation (phase 90, synth wah) and delay in the FX loop so i can use the amp distorion and cut down on the amount of pedals i use (7). i might even be inclined to leave the Fender home and use the JSX at ALL my gigs if i get the "goose bumps on the elbows sounds". another idea will be to use both amps via stereo delay (DD-20) to really fatten the whole mix - ala SRV. the Fender has tube tremolo and tube reverb that would add a lot of texture and flavor to the overall mix when used along side of the JSX. that does put me back to carrying a ton 'o gear which is why i sold my 5150 and bought the Fender combo in the first place.
                  the TB pedal sounds awesome and is extremely versatile for shaping my gain needs but amp distortion is always more natural than pedals IMHO.
                  i do wish the chrome covering was metal instead of plastic. you can't have everything and if i really wanted to, i know a machine shop locally that could duplicate it in chromed metal for me.
                  next step will be finding a good roadcase (amp insurance) that won't break the bank.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    Noodles you know it is all taste but honestly I think 6L^'s sound way better clean than El34's

[/ QUOTE ]

+1

Comment

I agree. 6L6's take the cake for clean sounds, but I think that EL34's are the way to go for lead sounds. That's why I love Simu-Class!

Comment

Noodles from what i have herd the JSX is more of a rock amp anyway, since you are a metal player i would stick with your XXX and even your mesa. If you want a good clean there are other alternatives, not sure if your bad uses a PA system, but if it does buy a cheap line 6 Pod with a A/B switch and use the pod for clean. Or just be like every metal band and buy a roland jazz. By the way there is a beat up Roland Jazz at guitar center for $299 i believe which is a pretty good deal, plus you can always talk them down some. But for me i use a pod for clean into a PA system and works fine for me.

Comment

Working...
                        X