Engl Comparison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engl Comparison

Anyone Compare a Powerball to a Savage special edition?

Are the leads better on the SE? How is the gain?
    I keep the bible in a pool of blood
    So that none of its lies can affect me

Re: Engl Comparison

Jim...the place in Skokie had pretty much every Engl in stock when I was there a couple years ago...Joe (Godwentpunk) was up there to play the 570 preamp. Give them a ring see what they have in stock for a test drive.
    RIP Donny Swanstrom...JCF bro
    RIP Dime

Comment

Sorry if I'm hijacking (it's about ENGL though!) but does anyone own/have experience with the Straight 100 combo? I've seen these pop up on eBay for decent prices and they seem to have a lot of features (2 channels and 9 mini-switches). For example:
      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW
      Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

Yeah I should run up there hopefully they let you crank it a bit

Comment

I would love to play an ENGL Powerball-SE and Savage back to back. The sound clips I have heard leads me towards the SE, but you never know. Jack.

Comment

www.rocksolidamps.com
            check out the sound clips

Comment

jwoods - I have one - extremely good tone, and the clean channel isn't bad at all. Sounds great through a 4x12 or Genx Benz 2x12....
              I prefer my Savage though.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                www.rocksolidamps.com
                check out the sound clips

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah the clips just don't tell me the full story though I can't ask the clips questions [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I had a Powerball but I have never played a savage or the SE

Comment

I have never played a Powerball but I love my Savage [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I tried both the Powerball and the Savage. They had them both there on site right next to each other. I like to sounds I got from the Powerball however, it has only has a 2 gain stages. The Savage has 4 gain stages, one for each channel. I was not impressed at all with the preamp gain channels...maybe it was the cabinets they were hooked up to. If your thinking at all about ENGL, you need to go to ENGLUSA (which is the grand piano haus) in Skokie. From where I55 meets the Kennedy, it's about a 15 minute drive. They did allow me to turn it up a bit, but their amp room is small (12X20) and my ears did start to bleed.

I usually go there on Saturday mornings around 10am and I've not seen anyone else testing out the amps.
                    joe...
                    www.godwentpunk.com
                    www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Comment

Joe I owned a Powerball so I know what I have there I have a chance to trade for either a Powerball, SE or Framus Cobra.... I will have to get up there can't go this Saturday though moving my nephew but actually I won't be that far from skokie tomorrow... Thanks for the input

Comment

Working...
                      X