Your Favorite Clean Amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Favorite Clean Amp

If your were going to buy an AMP HEAD specifically for the clean tone, what would you get?

Re: Your Favorite Clean Amp

Depends on the wattage I'd need... Matchless amps have a really unique clean due to the first tube being paralleled.

And it's a channel switcher, but the clean on my Budda Superdrive was awesome. I'm not much for a fender bright clean though - I prefer a voxier roundness vs the fender spank. Maybe even an AC30.

Pete

Comment

Carvin Legacy
      Carvin X100B
      Carvin MTS3200
      Mesa Boogie Nomad
      Mesa Boogie Mark IV
      Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Tremoverb

Comment

My MTS was nice, but I also like the way that Orange cleans and Vox cleans sound too. I even like the Roland Jazz Chorus.

Comment

Does the Jazz Chorus come as a head? I have never seen one.

Comment

I had a Budda Superdrive 30 for a short while. I thought the clean was awesome and the overdrive was great for hard rock. I just couldn't figure out how to get the volumes of each channel to get remotely close to each other.

Comment

I've seen Jazz Chorus heads before...James Hetfield and Robbin Crosby both used them. I don't think they make it in a head form anymore though.

Comment

I can't say I've played any heads that I really enjoyed their clean in any amazing way. Many were quite passable though.

I'm spoiled to the clean on my CAE3+se preamp, very 60's blackfaced Fender sounding, but better in a way. I relly liked the Roland Jazz Chorus 120 combo a lot as well, it had a lot going for it. Neither are heads though... Sorry.

Comment

Fender Bassman or Twin!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    I had a Budda Superdrive 30 for a short while. I thought the clean was awesome and the overdrive was great for hard rock. I just couldn't figure out how to get the volumes of each channel to get remotely close to each other.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why I got rid of my SuperDrive 18. Jeff Bober at Budda has a mod that will fix that - I think it's like $150 or something in that area. At the time, I didn't want to send my amp off.

I also have built a few pedals that channel switch and allow you to control the amount of volume going to the amp per channel... Dreamland Rebel has one that he uses w/his Boogie - it has the same problem.

Pete

Comment

JC120 did come as a head for a short time.. I think it was called the JC120 H. That is my favorite clean tone, followed closely by a MkIIC+ and Fender (not sure what model it was, but it was an older 60's or 70's)...

Comment

The Galien Krueger RL250 (rack mount) has a great clean channel too. So does the Ampeg SS140. I heard the Polytone amps have a great clean tone but some people can't stand them.

Comment

Fender Twin-Reverb
                          heads?...hmmm, some Boogie Mark model maybe.
                          "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

the Fender Dual Showman was an awesome clean head IMO
                            I keep the bible in a pool of blood
                            So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

i like old fenders for clean. currently i have a 1963 tremolux head. VERY nice. 40 watts, tube rectifier, bass and treble tone controls, vibrato...add my tube reverb box and it is glorious.

but for super loud clean sounds i like mid 70's fender bassman 100 heads with the master volume. i have always had one until recently, and i'm sure i'll get one again. that amp will not break up. it is so loud also. i like to jump the bass and normal channels and blend the two for more tonal variety.

of course my rivera s-120 and m-100 heads have great clean channels also, but still not as good as the fenders. rivera clean channels are so flexible that you do reach a point where something gets compromised. usually it's in the upper mids or the higher treble settings.

oh yeah, i had the JC-120 head a long time ago, maybe 89-90. i didn't like it. the chorus was great as was the reverb, but i though it sounded "dead" compared to the fender bassman 100.
                              GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X