Boss DS-1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boss DS-1

Does anybody here use one in front of their tube amp?
    What do you like and dislike about it?

Re: Boss DS-1

I have a modded one I did the 'keeley' mods and stuff to my taste... I much prefer the super overdrive, personally.

Pete

Comment

im using a DS-1 in front of a 5150. I set the 2nd channel pre-gain down really low and turn the DS-1 up untill i get a really light, but heavy distortion. It's very typical of the 90's Finnish Thrash sound, very dry and light, but heavy as hell if you catch my drift. cant believe i got such a great sound out of a 30 dollar pedal, unmodded!

Comment

I just bought one last week, I like it but it is a little thin (not enough bass response). I does give me a nice sustain and has enough gain when used in combination with my amps gain (I run a Soldano Decatone 100 and a Marshall TSL 100 in stereo). I have been thinking about getting it moded but really wanted to play with it for a few weeks before I sent it off.

Comment

I have an original Japanese I bought in 1982! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
          Supposedly one of the best pedals in Boss history. I like it, but it depends on what amp you are using, and what your basic tone is without it. It does lack some bottom end. It can be kind of sizzly, or too crispy or what ever. Anyway, depends on your base tone without it or so it seems to me. For example, I never use it with my Uber, but it has sounded good with lots of Marshalls and my MP-1 setup. This is what I like and dislike about it.

Comment

Wow. I used to try using a DS-1, and a SuperOver drive to drive the front end of the Recto (gain low, level high on both, with the gain lowered on the amp. I wanted to tighten the sound up a bit) and preferred the DS-1 because it sounded fuller than the SuperOverdrive. Also, the SuperOD lacked bottom end to me and sounded thin. I eventually gave up on both and started using either a GE7 or MXR 6-band in front of my amp if I feel the need to boost. The EQ's ultimately sounded better (If you move the mid sliders up too high there is ALOT of hiss though). Seems my results are the opposite of what everyone else found. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

I also used to use the DS-1 in front of my DSL401 when I had it. Again, it sounded alot fuller and more organic than the SuperOD.

Comment

its the joe satriani distortion.
              Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Yeah, I tried a stock super overdrive for about an hour and then took it apart. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

My DS-1 pedal has the popular 'keeley' mods and a few other tiny tweaks. I never use it though.

Pete

Comment

What do you think of the Keeley mods Pete? Is it a drastic improvement over the stock ds-1? I am just getting back to using pedals again after almost 10 years of various rack equipment so I am still trying to find my sound. By the way, I loved the sound clip you posted of your pre amp pedal.

Comment

Working...
                  X