Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stupid tube amp questions - STANDBY switch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid tube amp questions - STANDBY switch?

What's the procedure for turning a tube amp on and off when there's a standby switch? I'm going to be owning my first tube amp sometime within the next couple of months and want it to last (naturally).

What are the detrimental effects of not following the procedure? Too much load on the tubes/circuitry? Danger of frying? Reduced tube life? [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

I know what it's FOR, but I just don't know if the standby switch should be flicked on before, after, or at the same time as the power switch.

Thanks friends, for I am ignorant. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

And if there's no "standard procedure", feel free to make fun of me for thinking there was something to sacred as the process of turning on and off something as simple as a freakin' amplifier. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Re: Stupid tube amp questions - STANDBY switch?

I usually turn my XXX on with the Standby on. Plug in the pedals and other crap in front of the amp. Usually takes about 30 or so seconds. Then I click the standby off.

When I am through playing all those spectacular (actually read craptacular)riffs that seem to flawlessly flow off my finger tips, [img]/images/graemlins/brow.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I go in reverse order. Turn Standby on, unplug effects, then turn amp off. Not sure if this is correct protocol but just something I have always done to kinda let the tubes warm up and settle down.

Comment

When you turn it on with the standby, is it simultaneous?

Sorry, I feel/am really stupid when it comes to amps. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Okay- like this.

You have two switches. One is standby/on (we'll call it "left"), the other power/on (we'll call it "right").

To turn your amp on, have the left switch set to "standby". Then flick the right switch to "on".
        Let it warm up (I get gear in order while I do this, take a minute or so), then flick the left switch to "on".

Do the reverse to power down. Flick the left switch to "standby" and then the right switch to "power".

There will be lots of good info in your manual when you get it, no worries!
        I take it you're scoring that Mesa? [img]/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Make sure both switches are down in the off position. Turn the power on first and let it warm up for a couple minutes (Mesa says about 30 seconds, some people recommend longer). After letting it warm up, flip the standby up to the "on" position and you'll get sound. If you want to take a break or switch guitars, change speaker cabinets, then hit the standby switch down, turn back on when you're ready to play again. When you want to turn your amp off for good, hit the standby switch to off and then the power switch to off.
          Damn, Em beat me to it. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

DYING for a small Mesa combo, yes ma'am. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] But 'tis a used amp, not counting on them instructions being included in the sale. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Thanks for the instructions, very clear. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

If you get one of the F-series, I will xerox mine off for you. (I'd scan, but I'm not that technologically advanced yet). The manual covers the entire series. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

Damn, Em beat me to it. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                Yeah... but your explanation was a lot more professional! I have little kids and have a hard time reverting to "Adult Speak". [img]/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Comment

No need for adult speak with me, I'm as juvenile-minded as they get. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Em, I just found the user manuals on mesaboogie.com:

http://mesaboogie.com/manuals/user_manuals.htm

But thanks anyways. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] I only just remembered they had their manuals online when I remembered back to the time I read the Mesa Studio 22 manual a few months ago. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Standby switch is for the high voltage in the amp. Also, turn your standby switch 'on' (where the sound goes away) before turning the entire amp off - this way you can't screw up when you turn the amp on next time and blast your tubes with high voltage.

BTW, some amps lack a standby switch because they have a tube rectifier - tube rectifiers slowly apply the high voltage to the tubes as the rectifier heats up, so you don't really need one then. Also some cheaper amps forego the standby switch. I left it off a couple of my amps because I didn't have room and they were tube rectified [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Pete

Comment

i know its bad to not have a speak plugged in to the amp when its on, but what about when its on standby? is it safe to unplug from a cabinet or speaker? ive always thought that i should turn the amp off completely when it doesnt have a speaker connected

Comment

I was just thinking the same thing. Even if it's safe I'd feel a little uneasy leaving the amp on standby without any kind of load plugged in.

Comment

Oddly enough, my Randall RGT100 has a 3-way toggle that incorporates the standby and the power switch all in one. The middle position is OFF, the down position is standby, and the up position is ON. So when I turn it on, I flip the toggle down to standby to warm up the tubes. Then I flip it all the way up to ON.

When turning your amp off, I have been led to believe that there is no reason to use the standby, and that it is safe to just turn it off. Pete's suggestion that flipping the standby switch so that it is in the correct position when you turn it on again, makes perfect sense though. I use the same procedure with my Blue Voodoo.
                          Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            i know its bad to not have a speak plugged in to the amp when its on, but what about when its on standby? is it safe to unplug from a cabinet or speaker? ive always thought that i should turn the amp off completely when it doesnt have a speaker connected

[/ QUOTE ]
                            As long as it's on standby, you can unplug the speaker without any problem.
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

When turning your amp off, I have been led to believe that there is no reason to use the standby, and that it is safe to just turn it off. Pete's suggestion that flipping the standby switch so that it is in the correct position when you turn it on again, makes perfect sense though. I use the same procedure with my Blue Voodoo.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is what I've heard as well. That the reverse procedure exists solely to make the turn-on sequence (the next time you turn on the amp) start out in the correct config.
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

Working...
                              X