Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5150/G Major Questions

Hey Guys
    I know this question has been asked before and I went back and read all the old posts I could find. I still have a few questions that I will try to keep short and explain clearly.
    I just got a G Major for my 5150 head.
    My chain is set up like this:
    Guitar-High Gain Input 5150-Effects Send-G Major-BBE 482-Effects Return-Full Stack.
    I was having the level issues with the G Major and I set it all up correctly(Consumer,Global Levels etc.)
    However, to grt the levels where they are supposed to be I had to crank my post gain settings on the head to 5+.
    The problem I am having is if I want to kill the efffects loop and just use raw amp tone the volume increase blows my brains out!!
    On the TC website it says the 5150 loop is a high Z (insrument level) while the G Major is a line level input which creates an impedence mismatch. It suggests putting another high Z buffer in front of the G major. Wouldn't this essentialy be the same thing since the loop itself is already high Z?
    I read in one of the old posts where someone suggested putting a parametric eg before the G Major. Would this solve the level problems so that I could have the raw ouput match the efeects output?

To further add more issues I was wondering about a THD Hotplate to give me some good power saturation at low volume levels. I talked to Peavey and they advised against it, saying it would ruin the amps' transformer.
    the last thing is, if I do put on a Hotplate will I need 2 of them since I am running 2 cabs, or are there 2 ins and outs on a single unit.
    [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
    Sorry about the long post! Any help would be great. Also any suggestions on an EQ if that is what I need.
    Thanks
    Robert

Re: 5150/G Major Questions

The 5150's effect loop is very touchy. I have found only a few items that work correctly in it. BBE's work and it is very friendly to almost any kind of stomp box. You are experiencing something that is very common to 5150 users. You need to buffer the signal with something before it goes into the G Major.

Comment

I have found the 5150's effects loop to work flawlessly! Believe it or not, even better than in my Mesa Dual Rec which has adjustable sent & return levels.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        I have found the 5150's effects loop to work flawlessly! Believe it or not, even better than in my Mesa Dual Rec which has adjustable sent & return levels.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats a first for me. We had all kinds of trouble with the 5150's we had in my last band regarding putting things in the loop. Especially rack mount processors. Pedals were no problem.

Comment

Maybe it has to do with what you were running in the loop and what quality of the effects were. ? like I said, I've never had a bit of trouble and it sounded excellent when I ran my gear through the loop. No volume drops or tone changes when effects were engaged. I've run an SDE-3000, Line 6 Mod Pro, Echo Pro and a Lexicon PCM-70 through it with no problems. [img]/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
          [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats a first for me. We had all kinds of trouble with the 5150's we had in my last band regarding putting things in the loop. Especially rack mount processors. Pedals were no problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

Comment

We had no luck with a Yamaha SPX90, an Intellifex, A Digitech RDS digital delay and a few other rack mount effects. They would severely change the tone of the amp, introduce tons of noise and the SPX90 even made a funny chirp (high pitched squeal) when it was switched on or off.
            We had 3 5150's at the time and we all agreed that they sounded the best with stomp boxes. Timebased effects in the loop and everything else in front of it.

Comment

Working...
            X