X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head & Cab

Hey guys here's my Dilemma..
    I am buying JGs 4x12 cab. The details are this,
    The cabinet is currently wired in true 8 ohm stereo with 2 jacks on the back of the cabinet. Each set of speakers is wired to its seperate output jack which is 8 ohms. I can also wire it 16 ohms mono if you prefer.
    I also bought Toes Fender Roc Pro 1000.
    My question is should i or rather can i leave the wiring for the cab as is or switch it to 16ohm mono.
    Toe said that it has 2 speaker plugins so i COULD technically plug them both in that way but only 1 side is 8ohm. The other is 4ohm.
    Sorry for the potentially stupid question, i have always been a combo guy. I guess if i dont ask this stuff i will never learn right?
    Thanks in advance...
    Look Up...Get Up...And Never EVER Give Up...

Re: Head & Cab

[ QUOTE ]
    Toe said that it has 2 speaker plugins so i COULD technically plug them both in that way but only 1 side is 8ohm. The other is 4ohm.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Actually, I think the 8 ohm is automatically switched to 4 ohm when using both inputs together (I think the manual or maybe even the back of the amp has a detail about this; don't recall as it's on its way to you [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]). When using two 8-ohm cabs together, it puts the ohms down to 4. I'm not sure about the stereo cab, but if it's truly putting out 8 ohms per side from each jack on the cab, then I think you should be okay. Or you can probably just use one output from the cab into the 8-ohm of the head (though I don't know if all speakers will be on or just one pair). Hopefully someone else can chime in to help. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Toe is correct. If you use both jacks they will both be 4 ohms. Since my cabinet has 2 8 ohm jacks you will be fine.
      Toejam.. my 4 x 12 has 25w Peavey scorpions in it. They are 4 ohm speakers. I have them wired:
      Left top and bottom ----- 8 ohms
      Right top and bottom ---- 8 ohms

Superfly should be fine. If the Rocpro is looking for a 4 ohm load from each jack and we feed it with an 8 ohm load into each jack the amp will be happy.

Comment

Cool. Brian will be Superflying then! [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

totaly - leave as is and ROC that PRO!
          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            Cool. Brian will be Superflying then! [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice dudes.... THANKS!!!
            This ohm, wiring shit has me loopy but i understand more today then i did yesterday [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
            Thanks Joe, Can't wait for the Roc to arrive.
            I'll see you Thursday John [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

I've also got a RocPro1K head and I love it - congrats [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
              If you get a chance, run the RP's preamp through a tube power amp - it gets REALLY good then [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

1 step at a time Matt [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                X